Is there anyone else who worries too much about her child developing autism?

wellsymom

Asked by wellsymom at 3:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Health

• i worry about my child having anything... i hope its normal. i worry all the time.. try not too. i dont let others know but i def think about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I used to think it was the worst thing ever when I was told my son was autistic. I felt like I was mourning for my son, like he would never be normal. That feeling passed. My son is an absolute joy. He embraces everything as a positive, loves meeting people, enjoys going to new places, loves school and is eager about life. Don't let it discourage you if your child has it. Nothing can change it if it happens, what you can do is change your outlook about it and be prepared for the difference you will see in your child. You will notice the little things more and take them for granted less.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Nope. I am sure my kids have autism. You don't develop autism. You either have it or don't (but sometimes something will trigger it). Anyways, I am sure my boys will due to the face that I have autism and it is genetic. We know our oldest does, not sure about the baby yet.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Nah, I could waste my time worrying about things that I have no control over, or I can take care of what I can control and let the rest go. My fil is an alcoholic and I've learned to embrace the Serenity Prayer

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

They really are words to live by, even if you are not religious (which I'm not really). Take care of what you can and spend the rest of your energy on loving your kids, family and friends, and stop wasting time and energy on worrying about things you have no control over.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• No, in fact when my oldest was diagnosed with aspergers I was relieved, I fnally knew why he was the way he was, he was not just 'being difficult' he had an actual reason for things he did.
    If you are worried about your child possibly having Autism I suggest you google Autism, find out more about it, what the 'red flag' behaviors are and talk to your pediatrician.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You obviously know nothing of Autism if you think it can be "developed". They either have it or they don't.

It's not the end of the world, you know. There are much worse things that could happen.

Hell, my autistic kid could be the next Einstein!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I agree with Mizlee. we are on a waiting list for an appointment with a specialist for my son to evaluated for Asperger's. There is a little part of me that is actually hoping he does have it so I can know why 'he is the way he is.' It would be a relief for me to know that It's not my fault and that there is something I can do to help him.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009