any ideas on getting a 2 yr old to eat...

my dd is 2 ys old and stopped eating...i even tried candy just to see. she will drink but not eat food...she always gains a pound at every check up and is in the 5th % of height and weight but our doctor thinks she is fine...she is healthy she just seems to have no appetite...any suggestions?

singlemom4God

Asked by singlemom4God at 4:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Seeing she is growing and the doctor isn't worried, I would just keep offering her food and make sure she is hydrated. Try NutraPals or Pediasure, just make sure they are ice cold. Make her smoothies with Deans Lactose Free Milk, Ice and fruit. She will eat when she is hungry, you can't force her. My son was like that at that age and he is fine. Also, remember that her portions are a lot smaller than an adutls. A veggie serving is just a few tablespoons of veggies or fruits.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• a lot of kids don't like eating during the summer. The heat affects them. The Health Dept Nurse told me to just give my kids ice cream then add fruit or cheerios or whatever she used to like before she stopped eating. I normally make the grandkids mini sandwiches. I use cookie cutters to make little shapes. Point = just make food fun. Make sure you have her take vitamins, even as a liquid if necessary but keep offering her liquids. I'd even put chicken broth in a sippee cup if it were me

Answer by admckenzie at 4:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• She will eat when she's hungry. Keep her hydrated. She won't go long without food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• see thats the problem with the wait til she is hungry...she wont eat when she is hungry...and she gets a multi vitamin once a day and also a nutrapal drink at least once...she is lactose intolerant so icecream wouldnt work since she cant stand the soy kind. ive done shapes and ive made it as fun as possible ive even let her choose and help me make it...its just not happening...
    singlemom4God

Answer by singlemom4God at 11:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Welcome to toddler-world. Your child is temporarily an air-o-tarian.

Keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and she will start eating again. Great standbies are frozen foods, like peas, blueberries and corn. Another great one is an egg mashed with hummus.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My oldest son was the same way. They will eat when needed. Don't worry mama!!!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 8:37 PM on Aug. 8, 2009