i'm confused!!!!

where should i start at the age of 3 my son was dignosed through the school with autism since then he has been in a speacial program for autistic kids. well today was my sons last day of school and his teacher pulled me aside and told me that i should have him re evaluated because she did not think that he has autism. which is funny that she brought that up becasue me and my huband had been talking about that. well i guess my question is where do i go from here cause i know that this changes everything and i just feel like a deer caught in the headlights. is it better to have him tested through the school or take him to a professional.

ashley0205

Asked by ashley0205 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I don't know personally, but I'd think it'd be better to take him to a professional.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 4:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I would definetly take him to a professional.
    NannyTracy

Answer by NannyTracy at 5:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Take him to a professional. And by that I mean..PSYCOLOGIST WHO SPECIALIZES IN CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS.

You absolutely do not want your basic pediatrician doing the screaning. AS THEY ARE PAYED BY THE MEDICAL COMPANY'S FOR PRESCRIBING THE DRUGS YOUR CHILD WILL GET IF THEY ARE AUTISTIC. SO DO NOT DO THAT.
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Ummm, MAKEMYDAY101, there are no specific "drugs" for children with autism & there are many children with an Autism Spectrum Diagnosis that do not take any medications for symptoms associated with them having an ASD, so please STOP giving out false & misleading information.

To the OP: Autism is a spectrum disorder, so although your child's sxs may now be mild b/c of the early intervention he has received, he may still require some services. If you would like to have him re-evaluated, then I agree that having it done by an outside provider would probably be best at this point, as they are more likely to pick up on any subtle sxs that your son still has or figure out what his true needs are. A pediatric psychologist, developmental pediatrician, pediatric neurologist or pediatric & adolescent psychiatrist are the best professionals for the job, so find one that has autism experience & make an appointment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You actually let the SCHOOL diagnose him? They aren't qualified to diagnose autism!!!

As soon as they tried to tell you that, he should have been evaluated by PROFESSIONALS. It's quite possible he's had this label since he was three because NON-professionals gave it to him!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Well you said that the original diagnosis was through a SCHOOL evaluation. If they are suspecting that is INACCURATE that means he was MISDIAGNOSED. I honestly do not feel an evaluation of ANY kind is EVER really done PROPERLY through a SCHOOL. Simply said, take your son to a PROFFESIONAL. Good Luck :)
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• he needs to be seen by a professional for sure. Schools don't know what they are talking about either way and the label many children with special needs problems... like autism and adad when the children are just normal children.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Start out with your child's pediatrician, they are qualified to diagnosis or atleast recognize different disorders. Get a referral for a specialist and take your child to that person. There are many staff at schools that are qualified to diagnosis, you know the school psychologist. Don't assume that doctors or school staff are out to just medicate a child. Also, I don't know many kids that are Autisic that are medicated for it. PLEASE, talk to a professional, not people on a website that may have false information.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My grandson was tested by a professional then retested by the school so we did both.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would have him tested by a professional, if your state has an autism center I would go there. If your DS is not autistic they will let you know and if he needs any further help they can give you advice on where to go.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2009