OMG! are they still good???

i bought shish kabobs wednesday aug 5th for a party this sat..i just looked at them to marinate and sell by date says aug 7th...they dont smell nasty smells like raw meat they were never frozen..are they still good or did i waste money.. i dont get a pay check till tuesday so i dont think i can run out and buy more...again party is on sat...what do u ladies think??

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• they are still good if they werent they would smell bad def. smell em tomorrow though
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 4:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• throw them in the freezer until you need them!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 4:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I think they're fine if you cook them tomorrow
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If they smell fine I would cook them for the party and not worry about it. I am sure they are still fine. The store has to have a sell by date that is before the food would likely spoil. So I am sure you would be ok for a couple of days after the sell by date.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yes, sell by date is different from use by date, so they should be good tomorrow. Call the store and ask the meat department to make sure.

Answer by Bmat at 4:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• barbecuingThe sell by date is when they need to be sold, not eaten. They should be fine. Have a great party!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Bring them back and get new the sell by date should have been atleast 4 days. Atleast thats how it is in my state and the place I work. I wouldn't take a chance on it just bring them back and get new.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/food_expiration_dates.asp
    ^^^^That website has a list of what "expiration" and "sell" by dates of food...how long they can be kept frozen, fresh, etc...one of the MOST helpful sites I've come across
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 5:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• they are still good. If it happens again just pop it in the freezer then thaw it out the day you need to make them

Answer by admckenzie at 8:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009