Has your company done anything you are happy about during the recession?

I am so happy right now to work for such a great company. Our hospital received legistlature cuts by $22 million dollars (medicaid cuts). This was HUGE for us because we don't turn any children away from Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska. We have a huge increase in uninsured patients b/c parents cannot afford health insurance right now. Our hospital is committed to no layoffs and are doing their darndest to keep that committment. We are still going to receive our raises which will be nice. There are no layoffs to date. They launched a program called CPideas so that we could say what we felt could help. Managers and above will have salary freezes for the next year, VPs will take 1 week off without pay. This was just announced today and I think that's great. Has your company done anything you are happy about? I am so grateful to work for such a great place

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 5:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Meh, I'm just happy to have a job! My boss has not cut hours or staff, we have pushed our marketing so hard that our sales have been staying OK. One operations manager quit, and wasn't replaced, so though we are all working a little harder the rest of us are not getting hours cut or pay cuts.

As far as mine and my husbands own small business, we let our only part time person go when we had to close our brick and mortar store, but we are making enough money online to supplement our incomes. Things are definitely better for us than they were last spring.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I am my own company. I had to let 2 part timers go and used that money to market areas further away. Now, my business is picking up, but I do not forsee hiring for at least 12 months to recoup new costs (travel, marketing, etc)... But I am happy to live in the US where small businesses are the backbone of the US. At least for now, anyway..... We'll see what the future holds.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Absolutely not. I work for the state of California in a Psychiatric Hospital.. It's a 24 hour fecility. As All of the other state workers get 3 fridays off extra for the furlough days WE have to work them for FREE. So Not only did we get 3 days pay taken away AND we're working them for FREE, but I also lose my home at the end of this month because of the $700 dollars out of my check every month. So No I cant say Im happy about anything right now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Sounds great for you. However all these cuts for hospitals have left me with zero job opportunities. It is sad.

There are no job opportunities for the new grad RN. I would have never thought it. I keep hearing that it is directly related to the economy. Its sad.

JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My boss gives us $10 for every dog we adopt out.....and she pays for our lunches everyday.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009