Asexuality

Is asexuality an orientation or a medical problem? Do you feel the same way about asexuality as you do about homosexuality?

www.asexuality.org

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• lilbit- So are you also saying that hormone levels are to blame for homosexuality as well? Asexuality is when a person is not attracted to either sex. They never lose their sex drive because they never had one.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Are you asking about someone that just does not want sex?
    How does that equate with being a homosexual?
    walkswithjesus

Answer by walkswithjesus at 5:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• What exactally are you asking?
    This is what some called being frigid; or am I understanding this wrong?
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 5:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It sounds to me like asexuality has something to do with hormone levels. Kind of like when you go through menopause and lose interest because your hormones change.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• No of course not. I'm not comparing them at all. I just know that when a lot of women go through menopause and their hormone levels drop, so does their sex drive. It just sounded kind of logical that if you're not attracted to anyone at all, it might have something to do with hormone levels. Of course, that's just an observation as I don't know anything about asexuality. Personally, I don't think homosexuality has anything to do with hormone levels.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Asexuality is not just the lack of desire for sex, but a lack of attraction to either gender. The difference between asexuality and "frigidity" is that someone who identifies as asexual feels no sexual desire and as such no interest in intercourse. Someone who is "frigid" or lacks sexual desire may very well be attracted to someone, but for whatever reason, has little to no interest in the sex act itself.

As with any other sexual indentity, it's just another part of the spectrum.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I've known people that identify at asexual and in my beliefs it's just a valid as being gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered or straight. I don't know why people have to make a big deal about who people love, how they love them or how they identify themselves.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• That is wrong that womenwho have gone through menopause lose interest in sex. NOT true. You guys better start reading some books right now. Lots of misinformation here at CM. A person who is asexual is "neutral", not particularly sexual. Maybe depression? Maybe no hormone activity? Could be emotionally disturbed. Maybe their parents think sex is evil? Maybe the church is too strict and they are afraid of being sexual? Only the individual can tell you,I bet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I'm not saying that all women that go through menopause lose interest in sex. But some do. I'm not misinformed, it's true. I've read a lot about menopause.  I've also talked with my doctor about it. Especially since I had to have a radical hysterectomy that put me into menopause.

Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I had a total hystorectomy at 22 and believe me that is not true about losing the sex drive, desire, whatever you want to call it. That is an old wife's tale at the least.
    I took the hormones for a couple months and quit because they are made out of a hormone in a mare horse' pee.
    I am in my 50s now and we are still very intimate.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:19 AM on Aug. 8, 2009