My 11 month old has decided to not drink formula. What do I do??

He'll take 7 oz of formula in the morning and that's it. I started giving him mostly water with a little bit of juice in a sippy cup throughout the day and he drink quite a bit. I also TRY to give him oatmeal with 4 oz of formula and I can usually get at least half of it in him.

I know zinc and Iron are very important so I'm trying to give him foods with those in it. He's eating at least 5 jars of stage 3 a day and finger foods -- cheerios, graduate puffs, mac N cheese, chicken, peas, carrots.....

I'm not sure what else to do? The doctor said no milk unil a year, but that was when he was drinking 10-15 oz a day.

I'm going to call the dr again Monday but not sure what to do until then....

Any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter started regular milk with 11 months because she also refused the formula. But talk to your pediatrician about it, every baby has different needs!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 6:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Is he holding out for the juice? That can be a problem because he's cultivated a taste for sweet stuff. I'd go to plain water, NO juice, ONLY given occasionally. No cup through the day...just at meals.

It's sort of forcing the issue. At any time but mealtime he needs to take formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• The MAIn issue here is that he is getting tons of food and other liquids so he's hold ing out for them....meals he can have a drink otherwise give formula..
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Nothing Magic happens on the day they turn 1. he is close enough IMO. You could start regular milk. Make sure you are offering a balanced diet. If you are worried about the mineral then continue to give the infant cereal for breakfast. Even dry cereal like cheerio's though is plenty fortified. I would still consult your Ped before making the switch but I think they would say it was fine. i to would consider cutting the juice out completely for a while and then start back at once a day or just on occasion. I agree he may be holding out for the good stuff.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Stop giving him juice throughout the day.

Stop giving him baby food. He should be getting nutrition from table foods by now. Once he is, then he can be removed from the formula...NOT BEFORE.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• We started the juice yesterday and he gets a teaspoon of juice with water, just so he wouldn't get dehydrated. I wanted to make sure he drank something. So the juice has nothing to do with it. He started not drinking the formula a few days ago.

Thanks for your opinions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009