Am I wasting my time?

I really want to go back to school to be an RN but then again I pretty much work full time at the post office. I work from morning and the latest that I would get out of work would be 5:30pm. I checked out the community college by my house and they said I would have to take my core classes first and they do offer night time classes but then after I'm done with that, they will only have morning classses for the nursing school. I've been doing a little research to see if any other colleges offer night time classes but I dont even know if that is possible. I really want to dedicate myself to this but then again I need my job because I couldn't afford not to especially with the economy right now. Am I just wasting my time?? thanks for taking the time to read.

sharyn1983

Asked by sharyn1983 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in

• You know-a word of advice-there are no new grad RN positions. Many people don't understand this-they think rns are recession proof. I graduated this past June and there are no jobs. I know that the USPS is going to be taking some cuts-but its still a job. I have yet to even get an interview and I have been looking across the country since last december.

If you want to be a nurse, then I say, go for it. I don't want to discourage you. However, if work is what your looking for, you **might** have a hard time. Nurses are a dime a dozen these days.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• follow your dream or you will regret it later in life, if they offer nite classes I would do it, working your butt of for a few months verses doing what you want to do is way worth it, as long as you know you can handle working and school I would do. Good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Getting your education is never a waste of time. Go ahead and take your core classes. Keep looking into colleges around you. I know alot of colleges are really catering to the older, full time working students. Some even have accelerated classes if you have all your core classes done where you only go like one night a week. The poster above may live in an area where they have alot of nurses it may be diffrent in yours I know we cant find enough nurses and they are recruiting kids right out of highschool here to go into the health care profession.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• The poster above may live in an area where they have alot of nurses it may be diffrent in yours I know we cant find enough nurses and they are recruiting kids right out of highschool here to go into the health care profession.

Really? where? Because I am willing to move. Give me a link, site, etc. I am desperate. Thanks.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Did you know that college grads. make 75% more than non-college grads? I think it's worthwhile, but it is mostly a long-term investment. I would keep working at your regular job, though.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I know my local hospital is hiring rns all the time it seems like they have a permanent ad in the paper its website is

www.eamc.org/careers
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Qualifications: Recent hospital experience and/or previous nursing practice experience preferred.

That above is the problem. There are listings for nurses-but you have to read the fine print. They 'prefer' experience and most will hold out to find experience.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Typically, for an RN program, you can complete the core classes in one year. But could you spread them out & take them in 2 years? That way, you could take them all at night & it would give you 2 years to decide if you really want to be a nurse. If you want to still do it, the economy at that time might allow you to attend school full time. If you don't, you will have a couple years of general education under your belt & you can find a educational goal that truly interestes you.

JennRN09: Check out this link to my local hospital: http://www.ghchwa.org/index.php?mact=Jobs,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01jobid=5&cntnt01returnid=51
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Getting an education is NEVER a waste of time. The reason the nursing classes are during the day is so that clinicals can be done when the most patients are available. Keep looking, check into a technical college or community college, they seem to offer more classes at night. Good luck and don't give up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2009