Does anyone have tips for after tonsils removed?

My son is 3 and had his tonsils and adenoids removed last friday. It has been 7 days. He is fine when he is awake. When he sleeps or tries to sleep he wakes up screaming and crying. I mean screaming soo much he is now hoarse. I have tried everything. We were given tyelnol with codeine and he hates it. Also tried regular tyelnol. He is eating and drinking, but we have not slept in 7 days. HELP!

swells0612

Asked by swells0612 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This doesn't sound right. Have you called his doctor about this? See if they think he needs some benedryl to rest and heal. Do you give him popcycles and ice cream to sooth his throat?

Answer by admckenzie at 6:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• By a long icepack (one of those that are filled with blue gel) but it in a long sock and wrap it around his neck! The cooling should help!
    I had my tonsils removed when I was 15 and I was in a lot of pain also, couldn't eat, couldn't drink and couldn't sleep! The cooling was the only thing that helped a little!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 6:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My little girl had her tonsils removed right after she turned two. She took the medicine just fine and never had any problems. She was all better after about a week. I would call your doctor for sure to make sure nothing is wrong.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My sons both had theirs out, and even though the recovery time was different for each, the pain was pretty much gone by the end of the first week. Is it possible that your little one is still afraid of being given the anesthetic? Since he is eating fine, I think it may not be pain that is waking him up but fear. Can he tell you what he was dreaming? All I can think to suggest is hugs and comfort.

Answer by Bmat at 6:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Bmat really got me thinking with her post, and I actually completly agree with her! I dont think your sons problem has anything to do with pain,ESPECIALLY if he is eating and drinking fine and is okay when awake. Try talking to your son. Ask him why he was screaming. If he was scared or something. My daughter had her tonsils removed when she was about 4 and she actually went through the same thing as your son!When she woke up screaming I asked her what was wrong and if she was in pain. I still rember her near exact words, "No,mommy not pain. The sleepy gas. No,no sleepy gas no more!! Scary". She kept shockingly waking up scared thinking the anestetic had put her to sleep. She was scared of it! She was also worried that when waking she would be in killing pain like when she first woke after surgery. So I think you should ask your son if he was screaming from a bad dream or something. Good Luck.
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My daughter had hers taken out June 22. I was in the hospital having her brother at the time but my husband said she did great. She ate good and slept through the night. I would call his doctor and have it checked.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• whoa - I just typed in a search as my son (3) is doing the same thing and we are just past the one week mark ... my search brought me to this page and we are having the SAME EXACT issue. I kept water near his bed to make him sip in the night thinking maybe he was just try and that was making it sore, thought it was maybe dreams to....did youever get a solid answer on this? my son is also still tired out real easy. like we can play for 45 minutes and he is exhausted the rest of the night,
    J.R.sMAMA

Answer by J.R.sMAMA at 1:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2009