What kind of Prenatal Vitamins can be perscribed to me?

If My doctor will perscribe me vitamins my insurance will cover it..also can your obgyn also perscribe supplements like calcium magnessium and potassium because all of these add up and it would be great if my insurance could just cover it?

zoeilyy

Asked by zoeilyy at 6:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if your doctor prescribes it insurance should cover it, i get iron pills and prenatals covered
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• the prescription prenatals made me quite ill.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i couldn't take the prescription pre-natals either bc they made me sick as a dog too lol. idk if you would need other suppliments..... the pre-natals have pretty high levels of basically everything (which is why they made me sick lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• prenatal vitamins do not have to be prescribed...you can buy them at any pharmacy, and I know for a fact that wal-mart carry's them. My OB told me to get some and start taking them while we are trying to get pregnant..so I did!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I can't swallow pills for some reason, so my dr told me to take 2 flintstone vitamins a day instead. ive heard of others doing the same. If it comes down to it you could ask about that...its cheap too.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 9:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• it depends on where you live and the different programs some of the pharmacy have. If you have a Meijer around you ( mostly Great Lakes states) they have a free prenatal vitamin program but the vitamins don't have DHA. Otherwise they will probably prescribe a prenatal with DHA such as Duet or Primacare and you will most likely have a co-pay of $15 or $20. You can also buy OTC prenatal vitamins from most stores (Target, Walmart, Meijer) and a DHA supplement (about $15 at Target).

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009