heart murmurs

I just got home from daughter's 6 month check up. Dr. said he may have heard a whoosing sound (heart murmur). He said it was a 1 on a scale from 1-6. I have that most infants have then and tend to go away or the hole tends to grow up. If we are lucky and it does grow up, can it come back or is it gone forever!? We are schedulede to go to the cardiologist next Friday. I am freaking out, should I be worried!!!!!

Kennedysmom210

Asked by Kennedysmom210 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most murmur do close on there own depending on what type it is, all babies are born with a murmur and it closes with in days of being born as a example of one type of murmur. Alot of people also have murmurs that never interfer with normal living. Try to stay calm until you see the cardiologist...I know its hard because it is your baby but worrying wont change anything but stress you out. Just wait until you see him/her and ask as many questions as you can when you find out what it is.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• As a neonatal nurse, the most common heart murmur in infants goes away on its own. My daughter developed one at like 3-4 months and it went away on its own. These go away on their own eventually and cause no damage longer. Usually you are not going to see another hole up either since its gonna be checked out. Thats the usual case anyhow and its more common than you might think. A ton of babies are born with a murmur and it goes away within the 1sr year of life. Typically your cardiologist will keep an eye on it. Dont freak out till you talk to the cardiologist- he knows what he is doing and can answer all your questions. Your doc and cardio will keep an eye on her.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I have three kids 9, 7 and 2. My 9 and 7 year old both have murmurs. They call them innocent murmurs and say we don't need to worry. They have both been checked out by a few different specialists for different reasons - the oldests murmur is VERY loud for an innocent murmur and my younger one had atrial flutter (heart beating way too fast) when he was born. Fortunately, most cases of murmurs are nothing to worry about even when (as in our cases) there were extenuating circumstances. I worried like crazy but it doesn't help and there really wasn't anything to worry about. They are both very healthy and happy kids. Try not to worry, the cardiologist will be able to make you feel much better - I'm sure. Good Luck!
    momofthreekjs

Answer by momofthreekjs at 7:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Don't worry. Most murmurs are innocent meaning the will cuase no problems. My doc sent my daughter so we would know what kind it was. There's one where you will need to take antibiotics before dental treatments. The other innocent ones require no attention. Also, if it was serious, your child would not be thriving. My friend would eat and eat and eat almost every hour and still was not growing. She ended up having surgery at a few months. Try not to worry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Aug. 7, 2009