What do you use if your iron level is low?

My iron level is low. I started with one iron pill then 2. My DR. Says now try 3. But The side effects aren't Fun! You know what I mean? But being Cold, Tired, Dizzy, Pale, Weak & irritable isn't Good Side Effects either! So curious on your suggestions! What worked for you?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 7:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Health

• How low is "low" are you pregnant?

Have you tried eating different foods. The constipation has to be HEL*!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i take a ferrous g-something iron supplement and it makes me so sick.

eat foods high in iron daily.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Iron is absorbed better if taken with vitamin C, you can try that, also you can eat foods high in iron. Drinks lots of fluids and fiber will help with one of the not so fun side effects of iron, do a google search for foods high in iron and try to include those in your diet.
    My friend went through this, then to the iron shots, 2 transfussions, then a hystorectomy, because she was loosing to much blood each month with her period.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I have low iron and I started taking once a day for women vitamins and I was tested couple weeks ago and my iron levels were normal again

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• ah- remember that calcium interferes with iron so don't take tums or eat dairy two hours before or after you take the iron. that's what screws me sometimes because the pill gives me heartburn and i can take tums or suffer
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• try high iron foods like spinach, red meat, fortified cereal, cream or wheat, potatoes with skin, Lima beans, tofu, oatmeal, nori (sea weed),licorice, and, watermelon and clams. i wouldn't stop the pills without talking to the doctor or anything but if you are eating extra portions of high iron food to the equivalent then I would think it would be the same thing...I'm not a doctor though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Are you hypothyroid as well? All those symptoms could be hypothyroidism as well. AND, if you are taking thyroid med and iron together, the thyroid med will not be absorbed. Have your doctor do a blood check for your anemia as well as thyroid.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Eat lots of iron rich foods, and make sure to have a vitamin C source with the iron source; vitamin C increases the absorbtion of iron.

Here is a listing of iron rich foods. The pills have awful side effects:

http://www.soystache.com/iron

Answer by rkoloms at 11:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2009