How to get a baby to sleep through the night?

penny36

Asked by penny36 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are bottle feeding, when he/she wakes up give them a bottle with some water or binkey
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Wait until they are old enough. They will do it on their own. You can't MAKE a kid sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I went to your profile to see how old the baby is and it says you are still pregnant with your first, if you are trying to figure out how to get your baby to sleep through the night once it arrives, you wont, a baby has to wake to feed. In general it will wake every 2 to 4 hours to feed.

If you are asking for a friend, how old is the baby?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• A baby will sleep longer once his stomach is holding more. Mine slept six hours straight at four months old. Before four months,he'd wake every three to four hours needing a bottle of formula.

So, just normal growing time will solve the problem, no magic idea.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• They wont sleep through the night till about three or four months. My daughter slept through the night at 3 months. My son is up every 3 hours. He also has colic so I am expecting it to be 4 or 5 months before he sleeps through the night.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You can't make a baby sleep through the night. My baby is 7 months old and still wakes at night to eat. My oldest was sleeping through the night at 6 months though.

Please do not starve your baby. Babies wake at night because they are hungry. Do not deny them food. Sorry, I just had a discussion with my mom the other day and she is pissed my baby isn't sleeping through the night and wants me to give him water or let him CIO. I don't mind CIO but if a baby is hungry, feed them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• mine did at 1 or 2 months. but she would still wake for a feeding and sometimes go back to sleep while eatting.. but if the child is 3 months or older, i would suggest a johnson nd johnson vapor bath. it works WONDERS!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• A friend of mine recommended a book to me called "On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep". I ended up just taking bits and pieces of information that I could make work for me. My daughter didn't end up fitting into what THEY thought she should be doing (didn't start REALLY sleeping through the night until she started some formula supplementation), but she's sleeping at an 8-9 hour stretch now which works for me! My friend found the book incredibly useful, but bear in mind it isn't meant to be a cure-all to sleepless nights, and it may not work for some babies.
    tchrwifemom

Answer by tchrwifemom at 11:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2009