Any advice on how to make more milk? I can't take fenugeek (however it's spelled) it gives me a migraine and then I have to take meds I can't breastfeed with. I have tried the tea as well and can't keep it down either. The reason I ask is I pumped twice today and literally got NOTHING. I already feel like a failure for the way the birth went and now this (my son will be 4 weeks old on sunday), just one more thing to feel like a failure about. Please no bashing,

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can't give you any advice on how to make more milk... But I also couldn't pump... My breast just didn't go for pumping...lol... sometimes I was lucky and could pump 1 ounce in almost 1 hour! But I was breastfeeding my daughter just fine for 10 months.
    How do you feed your baby right now? If you are breastfeeding, does he seem to get enough milk?
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• There is no reason to feel like a failure, breastfeeding is hard. I would just forget about pumping if you dont have to. But if you need to, pump on one side while he feeds on the other. My milk always came down on both sides at the same time so most of my milk would end up in a nursing pad so when I pumped it didnt go to waste. Also pump for about 10 mins after he is done eating and that will build your supply faster. Breast milk is all about supply and demand, the more you demand the more you supply.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 7:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• keep taking your prenatals... and pump and nurse as often as possible... your body should get the idea to make more.... also try eating lots of oatmeal. I do and pump like 10 onces every morning... I also heard brewer's yeast works... dunno personally though
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 7:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Your not a failure at all! Did you have any problems with Delievery? I did with my first and they flat out told me my milk would not come in or if it did it wouldn't be much or last very long because of the meds they had to give me.
    Haileysmomma820

Answer by Haileysmomma820 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I tried to breastfeed my daughter and my milk dried up (just poof it was gone ) at three months i tried pumping and feeding her more often and it didnt help so i ended giving her formula i felt like a failure too until i realized that some was better than none. Dont stress keep trying and if it still doesnt work dont feel bad. Oh yeah stress will make your milk dry up to!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• First of all, what you pump is not an indication of production. I recommend just nursing on demand, and if you are changing 6-8 diapers a day, then that means you are making enough. Is there another reason besides pump output that you think you aren't making enough?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Why do you feel you don't have enough milk? If you get 6-8 diapers daily baby is getting enough milk, even if baby nruses constantly and is a bit whiny...4 weeks is a BIG growth spurt. Pumping amounts mean nothing as far as supply. During growth spurts its hard to pump anything at all because baby is nursing so much and taking so much. Nurse nurse nruse and stop sweating it. Eat oatmeal twice a day it help supply, stay hydrated 60 oz of water daily, pump after each nursing for extra stimulation...and count diapers. THATS it!!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_low-milk-supply_8487.bc

I wasn't producing enough milk with my first either and was prescribed a medication by my doctor. I can't remember the name of it right now but I'm pretty sure it was for ulcers and that one of the side effects was lactating.
    It worked a bit but it still wasn't enough to satisfy my son.

I would just breastfeed until there was nothing left then I'd top him up with formula.

I felt like a huge failure as well but now know better. TV and books make breastfeeding seem so simple and easy and that it's just what happens naturally. Well it's not, it's hard work sometimes especially for the first baby.
    You're both brand new to it!

Your hospital should have a lactation specialist that you can talk to. Don't be too hard on yourself if you need to supplement with formula.
    Breastfeeding is a good thing but it's not the be all and end all of nourishing your baby.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• From: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html
    "Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both sides) per pumping session."

Is your supply really low? http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

if you are getting 5-6 sopping wet diapers a day and your baby poops more often then once every 10 days (and if it is that far apart it should be all over the diaper, maybe even a blowout). and hitting milestones (at 4 weeks that will be mostly just holding up his head) and gaining weight (at 4wks it should be 4oz+ /wk. THEN YOU ARE OK.

and why would anyone bash you? you are doing the best you can for your baby. keep going! Just don't let anyone tell you that not pumping tons of milk is bad or anything silly like that. go to an LC or a LLL for in person help (most peds don't really know much about feeding babies). Feel free to message me if you need any more help.
    tash11

Answer by tash11 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Try doing it yourself. If you try doing it with your hand and you still don't get any milk or only a little bit, you may have a glandular problem that is causing you not to be able to breastfeed. Some women never get milk while others get milk and are able to breastfeed for only a short time. Either way, don't beat yourself up there are plenty of babies that thrive on formula.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009