What were you surprised about when you had kids?

I was surprised that it would be my mom not my mil that would give my constant advice and expect me to take it or get mad. And also that my fil in so loving towards my ds bc he's not really that kind of person.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was surprised by how petty all of my previous "problems" seemed after becoming a mom. Also how little in common I have with some of my friends now.

Mostly I was surprised that I had this kind of love in my heart that just keeps growing and growing. Cliche, I know but so true.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Honestly the first thing that surprised me was that (for me) labor didnt hurt. Then it surprised me how many people say negative things about you after you have a baby
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 7:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was surprised that I figured out the meaning of life when I looked into my son's eyes and saw Love and so that's what God meant by go out and procreate. And, I agree with another poster...Laila-May

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 7:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was surprised at the strength of my bond with the baby.

Answer by Bmat at 7:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was suprised to feel so exhausted! i was really tired to the point i would often fall asleep nursing. I am stopping at one because I really like my sleep.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was surprised that neither of our families don't really care that they have grandchildren. No birthday or Christmas cards, no gifts, no phone calls, no nothing. I made a point of having our children send them handmade gifts, cards for holidays and special days, yearly photos, but we never got anything in return.
    Ayuh, having children was a real eye opener for me.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was surprised that people wanted me to have another child so soon after giving birth.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 8:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was surprised by my So's mom and her sense of entitlement (because she became a grandma). She thought that she was the queen bee, and we were going to take the baby to visit her whenever SHE wanted us to, etc. Riiiiiiight...keep dreaming lady!

I was surprised that the same people who were so excited about my pregnancy suddenly dropped off the radar after the baby was born, when I needed the most help. NO ONE helped. No meals, no laundry,no nothing. I'm not saying that they HAD to help, but these were the same people that always wanted me to take the baby to THEIR homes to visit.

I was surprised how little sleep I could live off of.

I was surprised that I have been able to take care of my daughter all by myself...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• -I realized woman dont know enough about their bodies & what they are capable of (natural drug free childbirth-breastfeeding) and that by wanting to do those things puts a big label on ur head.
    -breastfeeding is amazing!! and I would feel such a deep need to do it.
    -suddenly talking about poop/pee & body parts are not that big of a deal!!
    -that after trying to quit smoking for yrs, the day i found out i was pregnant I quit cold turkey & never went back..
    -after giving birth i would feel like a sexy, strong diva! (lol)
    -all the feelings you have toward your child -- unexplainable!
    - my daughters baby breath is like smelling a part of heaven. its so sweet & angelic.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I wasn't surprised as much as I was confused as to what I did with all of my time!!!! I get more done now than I did ever before having children!! I guess I was surprised at how competitive and catty other mothers are but over all I was surprised as to how much I could love another human being. I knew I would love my children but had no idea at what level!

lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 9:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2009