blood pressure

my doctor told me to call if my BP was over 120/70..i checked earlier and it was 126/67..is that normal? or since 126 is higher than 120, does that mean i need to call?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You generally don't have to worry about the higher number, and 126 is not a bad number. It's the bottom number that they worry about for high blood pressure. Your numbers seem great, why are you taking your blood pressure?? If your doctor wants your to check it yourself, he should let you know what a healthy range is, otherwise....don't drive yourself crazy, relax.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Ive been having symptoms of gestational hypertension and she said to check myself when i start feeling those symptoms come on..i checked it today just to check, i felt normal..she just told me to call if it was over 120/70 so i was concerned about the 1st number being 126
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Well, if she told you to call, I probably would, but I think you're okay. She should give you more specific information. I had toxemia with my first son, and was hospitalized because my blood pressure was so high, definitely take this very seriously.....I always err on the side of caution, I'd rather call when I don't need to, than not call when I need to.

Good luck, and take it easy!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• when I was pregnant they use to worry because my top number was over 140 and the bottom was over 70. If the bottom goes over 70 and the top goes over 135 then I would call. Other then that it should be ok
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i would call just to keep them informed since they gave you a specific guideline to go by, but i don't think they get too worried until you are higher (i think they didn't put me on bedrest until i was in the 180's). don't forget to drink lots of water and try to take it easy too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I would say not to fret, but every woman is different. My blood pressure since I've been pregnant hasn't dropped below 140/76, but my blood pressure hasn't been my problem... My pulse can go from 82 bpm with me just sitting here doing nothing, to it going to 130 while I'm still sitting here. :)
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2009