Does this sound like profiling to you? Or am I overreacting?

Yesterday afternoon, my 15 year old son,and his friend were walking home from another friend's house. A Sheriff's deputy lives 2 doors down from this kid. My son and all his friends are skateboarders,and dress accordingly. So,this Deputy sees them leave,and starts following them in his car. He stops them,and tells them there have been some breakins, and thefts in the area,and what do they know about it? Nothing,of course. They are not bad kids,and none have been in any trouble with the law. As the boys are walking away, he tells them to stop,or he will arrest them for eluding questioning! Excuse me, I thought it was illegal to question a minor without his parents present! Anyway, they finally keep walking,and he tells them he will be watching them, so be on notice! The cops in town hate skaters, even though they don't cause problems, most of them skate over here on our dead end street,or the skate park. Does it sound like he

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• ok, Stvmen, putting aside our differences here for a moment:
    my best friend and her boyfriend were detained for an hour at night when we were back in college. she was 17 at the time, so again, minor. this is a VERY wholesome looking couple, very young looking, too. she was within a mile of her own home as shown on her license, they'd gone down the hill to Safeway for ice cream.
    they were told they matched a description of some robbery suspects in the area; yeah, sure. a slightly pudgy blond mormon boy and a very young girl with waist length dark curly hair, in a green opal manta. you can see how common THAT is, right, how that could have matched up?
    they were treated with hostility and told to sit down (on the curb) and shut up, not allowed to ask anything, including how long they would be held.

I think it's cops on a power trip, having fun putting the fear of god (you should appreciate the irony of that, coming from me)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• stopped them, simply because they are skaters? They were carrying their boards,as well. I'm ready to call the sheriff,but not sure if it would do any good. What are some of your thoughts?
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I don't know, skaters aren't really known as trouble makers where I live. People worry more about gangs!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• where do you live? that does sound like profiling and they are not supposed to question minors without their parents. i would call if i was you.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• WOW...YES that's profiling and you are NOT overreacting! Did they get his name? You need to talk to someone about this.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 7:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• File a complaint with the department.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i doubt calling would do any good cops where i live do the same thing but because who there parents are or use to be they think theyre kids are the same way... just tell your son he doesnt have to listen to them because he is a good kid and let him know he doesnt have to say anything unless you are there just make him aware of his rights and it shouldnt cause too much trouble but it all depends on how far the police officer wants to go..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Minors can be arrested but not questioned without a guardian present.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Ah, cops. There are some who go for the badge for ALL the wrong reasons.

You have two options. File a complaint, but be prepared for harassment. Having lived in a small town the cops negative or positive attitude towards one can really be a complete pain.

The other is to just ignore it, and teach your kids to tell cops who seem like they are getting nasty that "they want to call their parents now." And say nothing but that if the cops are persistant.

There are a lot of good cops, so all the cop wives back off. But I have also seen the cops who deserved a serious ass beating and tossing from the force, and their intolerance and narrow-minded attitudes was overlooked.

What do you think your chances are should you complain?
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 8:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• That is ridiculous, he was picking on them, and then they wonder why kids have the attitudes they have...

The best thing they can do is to prove his dumb profiling theory WRONG, I hope they never see him again, but he really did threaten them, that is just wrong!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009