What does a Czar do?

I am interested in people's answer to this. I hear a lot of talk about how czars are a "shadow government" and crazy things like that. The Czars are just a trendy way to say "advisor." They are not allowed to make laws (see the US Constitution) and they do nothing but study and propose policy. So why all the drama?

stacymomof2

Asked by stacymomof2 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• He has a Cabinet to be his advisers. He doesn't need the czars TOO. And for Every Czar you KNOW there is a whole group of people working for them that are getting paid to what...assist the advisor? Is this how he plans to help unemployment...hire people to do nothing jobs in the white house. And I really don't care if every president since Washington has had Czars, our country is going BROKE we should be cutting back on non essential gov't jobs...not creating new ones!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• http://blogcritics.org/politics/article/president-obamas-czar-power/

Czars are appointed at the discretion of the president (even though there is no provision for it in the constitution), they are not vetted, and there is no background check. The “chosen” not only hold unelected positions, but they rule with absolute authority and no accountability. Their job descriptions are nebulous, yet their salary is a mystery, and they all require a staff. As reported by Neil Cavuto of Fox News, the czars “oversee more than $1.7 trillion of taxpayers’ money and they don’t have to justify how much money they’re spending and even how they are spending it.” There is no transparency, no congressional oversight, and they only answer to the president.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You need to adjust the antennae on your tin foil hat honey. All these czars BO is appointing will be able to circumvent Congress to carry out all the dastardly deeds of the almighty O. They only answer to him, and how convenient for him, because when the shit hits the fan, he's got somebody else to blame. Something he's become quite good at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• They are not held accountable and only answer to the President. They are not vetted. They do not have to answer to the people. There is no accountability to their finances. At a time when government should be cutting back, why does the admin need to hire cronies to be advisors czars? Doesn't seem very Transparent..  But Hey Obama is 'just a politician, and politicians lie"... (as sooo many left leaners have said) So what if his own voters don't hold him accountable?  At least we know how high their standards [are not].

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You need to adjust the antennae on your tin foil hat honey
    ________________________
    Um, tinfoil hats are for conspiracy theorists, I am debunking a conspiracy theory. I think the insulting term you are trying to use here is either "kool-aid drinker" or "socialist." lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• All these czars BO is appointing will be able to circumvent Congress
    ______________________
    What are you talking about? They DO NOT LEGISLATE! Link to this?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• but they rule with absolute authority
    ________________
    Rule what? Their office staff? lol Please explain in greater detail.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Um, tinfoil hats are for conspiracy theorists, I am debunking a conspiracy theory.

No, I meant what I said. Those of you who buy into BO's lies are clearly wearing tin foil hats, on drugs, or just plain ignorant!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• or just plain ignorant!
    _________________
    Yet another example of an extreme reaction and name calling when someone disagrees with a conservative.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Kumbaya, my Lord....kumbayaaaa......oh, Lord.....Kumbayaaaaa!!!!

I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony.....I;d like to buy the world a Coke, and keep it company.....

sums up the simple minded liberal view of the world.

peace...love....harmony.....let's give obama a chance....he's just trying really hard...he bought his children a swingset.....he has a vegetable garden....he has a nice butt.....what more could we expect from the best president this country has ever had?????????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Aug. 8, 2009