What kind of Yummy things do you make with "cheap" food?

Like the other day we had lunch over at my MIL’s and she cut up some hotdogs in small pieces and fried up some bacon and onions, and then but that into some pork and beans. That was really good.

A few weeks ago I had Dinner at my BFF’s and she made some Raman Noodles and added some frozen mixed veggies and some eggs. Wasn’t the best thing I had ever eaten, but it sure did “class” up the Raman Noodles.

And I am sure everyone know of the old Mac and Cheese with Hotdogs. So what kind of things do you do with your "cheap" foods?

Adelle

Asked by Adelle at 8:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I bake it. I take a pkg of frozen spinach and a piece of fresh fish and bake it in a dutch oven. The whole meal cost me under $3.00. Yesterday I took flour tortillas and made a pizza with what I had. Very cheap and good.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Tonight I made something that I thought was real good!

Take 1/3 or velvetta cheese block-mine is generic kroger brand
    1/2 cup milk

*melt this over low heat in large pan-nonstick-stir often or it will stick*

Then, add some salsa-this was to taste
    Add a scoop of sour cream to make it creamy

While doing that I had 2 cups of macaroni noodles cooking-when done, drain and add to the pan stir well. I had some left over shredded chicken that I reheated-added taco seasoning to and then put that in the pan too. My kids loved it-I did to. There is enough left for lunch tomorrow. Yum!
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Homemade mac and cheese. A brick of cheddar is only like $3 and pasta is less than $1. I can feed an army for about $5 and it tastes sooooo good.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:28 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• sopa.. its mexican but its easy to make you get a bag of alphabet macaroni which is like 20 cents or any other type of roni and you put oil in the pan and fry them till they turn brown empty the oil out and add water and boil them (when it is done boiling any left over liquid you can get rid of if you put too much its not suppose to be like actual soup) then put tomato sauce, salt, pepper, knorr its this chicken flavor bouillon and garlic powder.. dont put too much of each just as much as you think it needs easy on the salt because if there is too much salt will be all you taste and when done you get mexican alphabet soup or any type of soup and if you wanna be fancy its sopa or sopita lol
    and the meal is really cheap! you can always add some chicken in there or some potatoes just anything creative
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Lentil tacos, veggie omelettes, beans and rice and quesadillas, lentil sloppy joes, bean pie, tofu fish sticks with sweet potato "fries",

Answer by rkoloms at 8:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Black beans and rice. My absolute favorite meal, and it's really cheap:)
    wikem81

Answer by wikem81 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Fry potatoes (I usually cube them) in olive oil and butter, add a package of drained frozen chopped spinach. Continue until heated through. You can also add white beans to the pan or cut up Italian sausage.

I add salsa to mac and cheese.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Thanks Ladies for the Answers :o) Some sound really nummy :o)

Adelle

Answer by Adelle at 1:36 PM on Aug. 8, 2009