"Mommy you don't potty standing up, why should I?"

I'm a single mom and my son will be turning 3 in November, but I don't know when's the right time to teach him how to go potty standing up. So, my question is... How old was your son(s) when you taught them how to go potty standing up and how do I teach him how to point in the bowl?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put it off as long as you can!!! LOL! My DS is almost 5 and started going standing at about 3 and a half. i have not had a clean bathroom since! He can't aim for nothin'. and the little targets don't help him. He pee's longer than his attention can last. LMBO!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my son was around 1 1/2 to 2 years...i just explained to him that he could sit or stand and showed him how to aim it. I explained it. I told him when he gets that feeling to run to the bathroom. Each kid is different. You know what your kid will do. Tell him to sit on potty and hold his peepee down with one finger and make sure he washes his hand. If he's standing, tell him to aim into the bowl and not in the back or on the floor...add a cherrios and say hit the cherrios. Or fruit loops...tell him time to feed the toilet, now flush it, say bye bye and tell him the toilet is burping when it goes all the way down. I hope this helps..Make it funny. Boys think peeing and pooping is funny. And, teach him to put the lid down, this means the toilet said excuse me and thank you after flushing.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I started out with him standing up, as for aiming well thats a different story, he is almost 8 and can still make a mess Oh the joys of having a boy LOL, you can teach him with cheerios in the toilet, like a game see how many you can hit. But keep wipes by the toilet cause you might need them.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son was around 3 when he started peeing standing up. I mainly taught him so he wouldn't have to sit on public pottys..YUK. I at first held "it" for him then he wanted to do it on his own so i let him. He is 4 now and is a pro at it!!! It will come in time. I'm sure you are doing a great job.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Honestly I had DH work on the "potty standing up" thing. And NIck was about your sons age. For you as a single mom i would suggest just going in for a normal potty training but tell him it will be a little different this time. And just explain to him how to do it. If this doesnt work out too well, does he have a close male rolemodel or something? Like a father figure? Like an uncle or something? If so perhaps you can ask them for a little helping hand in showing how to "potty standing up" Good Luck, Best Wishes =)
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my son started off sitting down and was afraid to make a mess when he was standing up. i balled up a piece of toilet paper and put it in the potty and told him to aim for that. i think he was like 3 1/2 (so after a full year of sitting down to pee). i told him to watch daddy peeing, but he didn't care about it until he saw his cousin (who is 6) peeing standing up and suddenly it was the 'cool thing to do'. if you have a slightly older nephew or some boy who would be ok with your son watching him pee that would be a great way to get him interested. and don't get mad at him if he's messy at first..... get some flushable wipes and keep them by the toilet and teach him how to clean up if he makes a mess. also teach him to flush and put the lid and seat down.... you will be glad you taught him to do that early lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I taught my son to stand. If he asks why he stands and you don't then tell him the difference between boys and girls. Take this opportunity to educate him

Answer by admckenzie at 8:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2009