so what did you give up when you became a Christian?

In the Bible it says that you must die to yourself in order to follow Christ. So I am curious what you gave up to follow Christ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I didn't give up anything in order to recieve my salvation. It was a free gift I could never earn or deserve.

I think serving the Lord is not about just what we give up, it is about what we GET. We can't sacrifice to the Lord, more than He has already given to us. Before knowing Christ I looked at all the Christians and pitied them for missing out on "so much fun". I couldn't understand why they chose to lead such "boring" lives.

But now that I know Christ I understand why everything I had once lived for failed to satisfy my deepest thirsts. I had lived to bring myself satisfaction in everything; but everything was only temporary. Jesus told the Samaritan woman that He could give her living water. "whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life." He told her she would never thirst again.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• But to answer your question the things I have sacrificed to my Lord, in order to be holy as He is holy is my entire life.

It is a daily thing. I need to put my life on the altar (I know that sounds bizarre but it is symbolic, LOL). Paul says, "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1

I need to give up my selfishness, my pride, my jealousy, etc. Most of it is stuff in the heart that keeps creeping back in, LOL.

But the more outward things that most people notice about me is that I no longer go out and party, get drunk, get high. I no longer have sex with people I am not married to. I no longer participate in the things of the occult. I no longer drop the f-bomb between every other word. LOL. I no longer enjoy immoral entertainment, etc.

But the real change is internal.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I gave up a life of sin and sorrow.
    It was not a free gift....there was a HUGE PRICE PAID for my salvation and that is why I am never, ever ashamed to say I love Him and that He deserves all the praise and glory.
    The price was my Savior's life.
    There are way too many that take that for granted and stomp on it as they spit in His face.
    I miss NOTHING from my life before Jesus.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 9:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• And I am being honest when I say that the only things I have "given up" were only empty substitutes for the real joy and satisfaction I get from my relationship with the Lord. I am not a boring person. I love to have a good time and enjoy my family and friends.

Jesus is LIFE. Good LIFE. "In Him was life, and the life was the light of men" Jn. 1:4,
    Jesus said, "But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life" John 5:4.
    Jesus said, "And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst." John 6:35
    Jesus said, "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have [it] more abundantly." Jn. 10:10
    and finally, "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• hmm...nothing really. i grew up in a Christian home, went to a Christian college, & married a Christian man. so ive always had good Christian surroundings. that doesnt mean ive never sinned or participated in bad activities, but i havent given up anything for religion. my largest sin temptation became unsinful the day i got married haha. also, i stopped going out drinking & partying once i found my DH.

i still have sins that i need to work on, but the reason they are so hard to get rid of is b/c i cant just give them up (pride, stubbornness, gluttony). they are more thought process i need to reign in.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:25 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• i didn't give up anything really i just decided not to do do drugs, sleep around, curse, drink or anything that i hated doing in the first place. i'm so happy not being in jail and being at church. i still have my free will unlike i did when i was addicted to dope. as long as i follow christ i have my free will to say hell no, no drugs for me cause he has given me the strenght to overcome it and stay clean. i still sin but hey he doesn't expect us to be prefect and you can always come back to him. i'm living proof of it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I haven't given up anything that I regret or was so hard or painful that I even remember it to be honest with you.

The Holy Spirit has been working with me on ridding myself of needing to be perfect, various anxieties and other issues. Nothing I want to hold on to any way :-)

I do tithe and give some of my money to the church. I also give of my time. I also try to put myself before others. However, just like Manders, I was raised a Christian and have never known what it was like not to do those things.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Actually depends on how you look at it.. Yes Jesus paid the price so WE DIDNT HAVE to... thats the free gift for us. He paid the gift and gave it to us !

I was 19 when I got saved, at the time I didn't see it as giving up anything but getting to know that someone loves me and cared enough about me to die for me.
    Now that I have grown and learned more about dying daily, it means to me less of my flesh and more of Him. Allowing Him in all areas of my life and leaving no room for the enemy to be in control. It means going deeper in His precense to meet Him and leaving the self behind and allowing Him to mold me and make me whom He wants me to be and that is His beloved daughter, precious princess and amazing child. It means changing my heart of stone to the heart of flesh that would be so full of His love and compassion, so that I can walk in the gifts He has bestowed upon me and using them for HIS glory and not my own.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Absolutely Nothing...God gave me back so much more than I ever deserved.

ONLY TRUST HIM -- HE WILL SAVE YOU NOW......
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Its not about giving up stuff for Jesus its about wanting to give it up for Jesus.. You see when you get saved you want to give up stuff why? Cause you love Jesus so much that we would do anything for him.. Come one he died for our sins Praise God He gave up his life for us what could be greater then that?

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009