Has anyone married someone for their money?

I was wondering because I can't understand people that can't marry for love. If you have why?

oliviahank

Asked by oliviahank at 9:10 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm going to be marrying someone whose income is so beyond what I've ever imagined (he makes more than doctors). When I first started to date him, I was freaked out by the idea so I told him I didn't want to know his income. I've never chased after anyone for their money so when we met and I knew his job and that he probably made quite a bit - I had to really look at myself and ask if my developing feelings for him had anything to do with his money. I had only expected to date a man who earned what I did - I never expected to fall in love with someone "of means." It took a year for me to get over it and finally see him as just him. He's always been so generous but I'd insist on buying him dinner too and would make him art and gifts. But he is the sweetest, most humble man I've ever known. I found myself falling in love with him "in spite" of his money!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• No. Bit I would because if it meant that me and my son would be financially secure for the rest of our lifes, I would learn to love him. It sounds horrible but if the man can provide for me and my son, then yes I would.

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 9:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• No but I've thought about it
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Thought about it, but I couldn't stand living with someone for the rest of my life that I'm not in love with. I've dated some losers and having kids now, I don't want someone who can't keep a job. But, I think it's just a bonus for most people.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I've thought about it several times, especially when we we're broke, but now everything is going really well and my husband does make good money so it all worked out:)

I imagine people marry for money because love doesn't pay the bills and IMO money can buy happiness where as love can fade so easily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If anything were to happen to my marriage, god forbid, I think that's what I would go for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• LOL...I'm with ya Anon 9:38....If love doesn't work the first time, then go for money the second time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• For some ppl marriage is more like a business venture and not based on emotion. Some ppl will allow their devotion to the relationship to be based on a monetary value. Both get a spouse (ultimate goal) and the pay off is money for one and security for them both. It works for some and not for others. I think it makes sense for some if it were a negotiable contract renewable after a few years. If it works then fine and if not, they move on. I married 3 times and for 3 different reasons, none of which sound good now but the money thing has a good ring to it. Too bad SO is military and not a millionaire!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Because love alone does not pay the bills....does not buy you a home and does not keep you financially secure....when you marry for money, you can find ways to love him and appreciate him for everything that he does...sounds shallow, huh? but its a realtiy for some...can't knock em
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2009