foster parent?

I love children and have a 21 month old and want to learn how to become a foster parent? I know they need them bad but I have no idea how to go about it. I want to help a child in a bad situation or teen...Are u one? can u tell me about it?

bubbaelea22

Asked by bubbaelea22 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• In the state of CA u have to own ur own home I believe and u need psychological testing and analysis. What state r u in?
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 9:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• tx
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Contact your local Social Service Department
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 9:33 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• In Ohio, I'm pretty sure all you have to do is take a class. I'd google it in your area...
    And props to you for wanting to do this
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 9:33 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• www.dfps.state.tx.us/Adoption_and_Foster_Care/Get_Started/default.asp
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 9:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• contact social services. they will set you up an appt to be screened and tell you all the details...pretty strict guidelines in some states, but not in others.

I think it is very honorable to be a foster parent or adoptive parent. a teenager might and usually does come with a lot of problems, but if you're willing to see them through EVERYTHING and not just hand them back when it gets tough, then you'll be awesome in my book.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• We went to one of the orientation meetings held by CPS, and got started that way. I'm from TX, too. Good luck! They are always needing more foster parents.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:40 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Contact your local social service agency, they are in the phone book, and ask to speak to foster care services. The switch board operator will direct your call. You may fumble through the inital who do you need to contact - but after that the social worker will assist you in providing information. Typically you go to an orientation, take foster care classes, have your home inspected, and then when your home is the one that best meets the needs of a child who is needing a foster family you will get a call. It is a process and takes time. It can be very rewarding. Good luck and thank you.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Foster parent in Ohio here. You need to contact your county's social services agency and then inquire about classes. Usually there are state guidelines as to how many hours you have to take for your pre-service training. Then you have to get background checked, financial statements checked, and paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork. Then after your home study and you get licensed, you still have to complete more classes to keep your license up. It is very time consuming, an emotional rollercoaster, and paperwork that you cannot believe. It's a good cause, but you need to be prepared about the real amount of work that you have to do in order to become, then remain a foster parent.....and that doesn't even include the actual child!!! If you go into it with certain expectations of flowers and butterflies and making a child's life great, you'll be sorely disappointed. That comes later, but there is so much work. cont.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 10:45 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I absolutely do not want to discourage you at all, but I want you to have realistic expectations of what is going to happen.

So contact your county agency and see what their steps are for you to get started!! :-) Good luck!
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 10:46 AM on Aug. 8, 2009