What would you do if your 3 year old did this?

I have been trying to explain to my son about private parts.. He has been caught exploring himself which I know is normal.. today while ridding in the car he screams "look mommy" so when I look back he has his whole penis hard as a rock exposed at a red light.. I tell him to put it away and he refused.. the car next to me had people in it pointing and laughing.. I have tried to explain the best I can... what would you have done or how would you have responed? I am at my wits end here...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's NORMAL, and to be frank, quite fascinating for a three year old, when they discover what their bodies can do. The more you focus on it the more inclined he will be to keep on doing it. A calm, low key, change the subject approach is best. "put it away, can you help Mummy find the right street to turn down?" " Pull your pants up and tell Mummy who you played with today" Just saying"can you go and get your red truck for me" will make him stop and be dustrated by something else. Even just a word like "private" means nothing to this age group. They are expected to use an open bathroom at kinder and day care, so how can you then explain that it's a private part of the body?
    We say "anything inside your underpants is not for anyone else to look at" then move on. Just say it in a calm voice, and change the subject. It will stop eventually, Don't make him feel bad for looking or touching, it's his body - IT"S AMAZING TO HIM
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• He's doing it for attention. Do not ackowledge it. I konw it's hard but act like he's not talking to you, etc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Pulled off the road.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It's a natural thing for a boy.. They have something there that they can play with. They don't understand you can't just go around showing it to everyone. Just tell him that his private parts are private, explain to him the best you can. What i'm wondering is if he's only 3 how the hell did he get himself exposed so easily in the car in a carseat?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• my son is very fascinated with his private also.....weird but true.....one day i was shocked when my 4yr old told me that his "wee-wee" was his bestfriend!!! I was like "what?! who taught u how to say that?" I dunno, but I guess they think its like some kind of toy or something...I really dont know.....I just kinda shrugged it off and now he's back to his own self again.
    sharyn1983

Answer by sharyn1983 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Wowwww. I'd have to say my ds has not really done this. When he has tried I calmly but sternly say "That is not a toy put it away."

My friend has problems with her son at that is that age. After a very, interesting trip to Walmart she was at her wits end. She called the local police and told them her problem with him exposing himself in public (He would do it EVERY WHERE) She asked them to explain how bad it was to do that in public, let me tell you that little boy never exposed him self in public again. He still does it at home so at least he is not ashamed or afraid of it, now he just knows it's place LMAO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• He weighs enough to ride in a booster seat that has a seatbelt that comes across his lap and chest.. thats how he got it out so easy... he has never tried anything like this before or tried to wiggle enough to get out of the seat belt.. crazy... I am going to have a talk with him tonight with a different approach thanks to some of everyones advice.. Thanks so much...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009