Shy kid

My son is very shy and wdn't talk to anybody who is new to him. Pls advise to bring him out of his shyness.

bhraman

Asked by bhraman at 2:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure if there's a sure-fire way to get a kid out of shyness, but I think the best way is to encourage him to talk to people. Start by introducing himself to other kids. Maybe give him a dialouge to follow. Example: walk him up to another kid and say "Hi, my name is ... What's your name?" then when the other kid answers, then help him start a conversation like I like this toy, what kind of toys do you like? Start with other children, though, because adults can be very intimidating. If there is no choice, then get the adult to get down to his level by kneeling or bending down so that they are eye level with him. Just some ideas :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• When you label a kid as "shy" you're doing them a disservice by excusing their behavior. My kids were never "shy" until I started taking my youngest son to a story hour at the local library and most of the kids there were shy and hanging onto their mothers and wouldn't talk to anybody and their mothers wouldn't make them talk to anybody. Well after a few times of going, my son started wanting to hang on me like he saw the other kids doing, and he had NEVER done that before. I told him "you're a big boy, don't hang on me." Don't feed into his behavior, whenever someone asks him what his name is, make him tell them, don't do it for him, tell him he's a big boy and can speak for himself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2008