What is the problem?!?!?!?

So a new girl started at work about 3 wks ago. She's a smoker and a lot of our coworkers are too. Everyday, EVERYDAY, for the last 2 weeks, she has asked someone for a cigarette at every break and on lunch. (We get two 5 min breaks in the AM, and 2 in the afternoon.) She's even asking the higher up managers/supervisors! It's getting annoying and people are avoiding her now. Cigarettes are too expensive to be handing out left and right for one, plus it's just rude! It's not that she doesn't have money, she's always pulling out money for food, snacks, lunch, etc. Her boyfriend smokes and knows she smokes so she's not hiding it from him.
Why would she be doing this? My friends and I are out of ideas!

jmpeskie

Asked by jmpeskie at 9:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• UGH, we had someone like that in our office too, the nerve of some people, I swear. I guess the bluntest person in the office needs to say "hey, we are not your personal Conoco......find one and BUY yourself a pack."
    Good Luck.......moochers SUCK!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Maybe she does it because she is the new girl. Everyone should just start approaching her first and asking her for one.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 9:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Cause she is a moocher? And rude.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• lol maybe shes just trying to quit, so she doesnt buy packs, she just bums them sometimes from u guys. just tell her no already!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Becasue people will give them to her.. She cheap.. and everyone enables her!! Right?
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• tell her to start buying her own cigarettes or pay you for a smoke.
    when I was smoking, people CONSTANTLY asked me for a cigarette and I charged them 25 cents for one cigg
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 9:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Oh yeah and a friend DID offer to walk with her to the gas station on break. Not surprisingly, she declined.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• "lol maybe shes just trying to quit, so she doesnt buy packs, she just bums them sometimes from u guys. just tell her no already!! "

That thought went thru my head too, but she's too much of a regular smoker. Twice a morning, a few on lunch, than a few more in the afternoon. I don't think she's trying to quit.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• We have one of these in our NEIGHBORHOOD! She goes door to door bumming 3-4 ciggies at a time! The first day I moved in, she bummed a cig off me, but I put a stop to it real quick. Whenever I worked at a bar/lounge awhile back, I did like kitten and charged. (All of my co-workers were tipped so it was no big). One time a guy paid me $3 for a cig. He honestly just ran out and needed one.

Start telling her NO. She obviously has a job (you work with her!) so you and everyone else knows that she can afford it, whether she is quitting or not. Get everyone to charge her (at least a quarter) or get everyone to tell her no. Eventually she'll get the point.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:03 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It's just so weird, I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Once in awhile you run out, sure, but Jesus. Maybe she's on Cafemom and will see my post. :)
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009