when do they start checking u for dialaton an effaction(sorry bout spelling)

momatonly16

Asked by momatonly16 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Between 35 and 37 weeks, unless there is some reason why they should check earlier.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• She didn't check me until 36 weeks- OHH once at 31 weeks because I said I felt pressure, but now everyweek she checks me.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• 29 weeks... I was in early labor tho.
    iheartkewi

Answer by iheartkewi at 10:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It depends on your health care provider and what you want. I asked not to be checked. I didn't want any risk of infection and didn't see any reason to check. Baby would come when ready.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:17 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I just had my 38 week visit and it was up to me to be checked or not. My doctor's office then automatically starts checking you at 39 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I use the midwives at my hospital and they start at 38 weeks if you want them to. Otherwise they check once you go past your due date.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I refuse checks like that. The amount of dilation and effacement really tells you nothing, and gets your hopes up falsely. I had a friend last 4 weeks dilated to 4, and my first 2 pregnancies I went into labor with no dilation. It is pointless.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• ditto ColleenF30... if this is your first dilation can be very disheartening and mean nothing, not to mention the added risk of infection everytime something is put in your vagina. Ever dr. is different, but I believe most start at 36-38 weeks.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009