putting baby down to do chores..

My baby is about 7 weeks and I have recently started learning to juggle taking care of her and house work.. but all of a sudden I started feeling like when I put her on her play thingy (that has the toys hanging from it), or in her swing to wash dishes, or do laundry that I am some how neglecting her. Everyone tells me to forget housework and enjoy my baby.. but how do i really do that? u know? I enjoy her..of course.. but housework will NOT get done around here unless I do it. Is it normal to feel like that?

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 10:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is normal. Be glad that you have a baby that will allow you to walk off and put a load of laundry in or wash some dishes. She might enjoy the time by herself for her to just explore something on her own for a bit. It does not mean you are neglecting her, it just means being a family. Congrats on your 7 week old!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If your baby is happy and you don't do it too much don't worry. You can use a sling or a carrier but it is more difficult.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Don't worry about it being normal or not. In my humble opinion, it is good to encourage the baby to entertain herself for a few minutes. You likely still have plenty of holding and playing time. You aren't rejecting her. She is no longer in the womb, she is a separate human being. You can even have her in the same room where you are- and you can talk to her and smile at her while you are doing your chores. Your feelings are normal, and since a clean house and clean laundry are part of a healthy atmosphere for the baby, then you are doing good things for her even when you aren't holding her. You sound like a very good mother to me.

Answer by Bmat at 10:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Your fine hunn. Its normal for Moms to set their child down for a while in order to keep us the house work you are not neglegting him/her in any way. If you fell that you are though just wait to do house work when your little one is asleep
    ashnbra1

Answer by ashnbra1 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• its great that she will do that...no matter how much i want to hold my daughter she is pretty independent and likes to do her own thing and at 7 weeks as long as she's safe and warm and cozy, theres nothing wrong with it....you're not abandoning her....I go nuts too if the housework isn't done :) congrats!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I sometimes feel the same way (and its the same situation...if I don't do it it doesn't get done). But like another mom said, it's good for the baby to learn to entertain themselves. My daughter (who will be 7 weeks in a few days) has a good ol time just hanging out in her bouncer looking around. The only time you'd be neglecting her is if she is crying and you don't attend to her!! And like the last mom said, if it makes you feel less guilty, do it while the baby is asleep. Don'y worry...you're doing a great job!
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 1:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I know it can feel that like you're neglecting her but if she's happy then there is nothing wrong with it. At 7 weeks, they are still mostly sleeping at that age anyways. When I had to take a shower or do chores, I would put my son in a playchair and put on a Baby Einstein DVD for him or put him on his playmat that had a sun that lit up and played music. As a new mom, you will NEED some YOU time! I felt horrible leaving my son with family for even an hour to get out of the house or do chores but I'm so glad they pushed me out the door. Get yourself a pedicure or something, then come back and lavish all the love and affection you possibly can :) You're not neglecting her. (Later on you will be thankful for being able to put her down..) You're doing a great job momma :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:03 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If she's happy, go for it! It's good for her to be able to entertain herself, and you'll feel better with that stuff done. As long as you can easily get to her, see her, etc, no worries.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:14 AM on Aug. 9, 2009