How badly does breastfeeding affect how much formula you get with WIC

I am wonting to breast feed and formula feed as well. I have friends who have done it but I havnt talked to them since they hade their babys. I wonna do both but I dont know if it would affect your amount of fomula you would recieve on WIC checks. I wont to do both because I dont wont my baby dependent on just me alone if something goes wrong where I cant I wont the baby to already have and be use to a certain formula as well I have two lil girls who done great on formula alone I have just been doing some thinking on breastfeeding and I would like to do both. I plan to use a pump as well it would be more suitable for me if I am not home. I just wonted to know if anyone has done this and how much formula you got each month on WIC or if it affected anything. Thnak you very much to anyone who replies it would be most helpful to me. Does WIC supplie a pump ?

honeysuckle09

Asked by honeysuckle09 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Want is how you spell it, not wont. I'm not being rude but it made it very hard to read your post with the spelling. Everyone makes spelling mistakes thought I'd help you out. Not trying to be rude.
    I would tell them you were formula feeding only. They tend to get cheap on you and don't give enough formula later on. Stock pile it. You'll need it if something does happen. In the beginning especially pump as much as you possibly can and store the formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• WIC will supply a breast pump, if you need one ask after you have baby- they will give you a voucher for one- also check with your hospital, because at my hospital WIC works on location, and supplies breast pumps BEFORE you go home. And I told WIC that I would LIKE to breastfeed, but have to go back to work- because I said that, I received 9 cans a month, which was more than enough. Now at 6 months WIC provides baby food as well as formula, this changed AUG 1st!!!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• If you only formula feed you will get twice as much as if you we're breest feeding and formula feeding...
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• WIC can refer you to someone who can rent you a pump, but they won't supply one, this was the case for me 5 years ago don't know about it now, I breast fed and pumped for 9 months then had to change to formula due to medications I had to take, as far as I know, as long as you breastfeed they won't give you formula, just tell them you don't nurse they won't know, they are not going to feel your breast to see if they are full or anything
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 10:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• This MAY sound shitty of me- But I lied and said I was strictly formula feeding, even though I breastfed for 6 months, every month I would go get all my formula, so when I was done breastfeeding I had MORE than enough to last me. What I didn't use after a year, I donated to the food pantry.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I am pretty sure you have to choose between breastfeeding and formula when it comes to WIC. Most likely they will have a pump available to borrow if you are breastfeeding. In my experience I have breastfed both my boys until I became pregnant again and my milk supply began to become affected, at that point I had to request to have the baby switched over to formula. As far as I know, there is no in between with WIC, I could be wrong though.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• sorry if my info is out of date I no longer get WIC since my daughter turned 5 and I haven't nursed since she was 9 months old....
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 10:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• breast feed ONLY!! pump and freeze it if you need to. breast feeding and formula feeding can mess up the baby's stomach. do one or the other. if you have to go back to work..just pump a lot and store. someone at WIC can tell you how. they supply breast pumps. do this!! i regretted formula feeding my baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Ohio Wic is cutting the amount of formula by about half come October. no one in their right mind would choose to FF and be on WIC right now because of that. It will only be enough to last about 2 weeks. You will end up buying the rest. Also bf and ff together rarely works out since breastfeeding is a supply and demand thing. If the baby isn't demanding it....it will go away.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• just ask i bf so they first offer me 6 cans a month but i dont used it. i told them i didnt needed i make alot of milk so i dont uses it. but they still give it to me so i just donated.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2009