How do you stop a 14 month old from throwing her self down when throwing a fit?

My DD is 14 months, she is very verbal and understands so so much! I think she is getting to smart for her own good!
when she throws her fits i put her in her room to calm down ( she will look at books once she is calm, then come give me a hug and kiss) , but when she throws her fits she flings her self back and the kinda bucks like a horse, i am scared that she is going to hurt herself, she has already hit me on the side of my head with her ear. any ideas on what i can do to let her know that she cant do that?

LizaJayne

Asked by LizaJayne at 10:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IGNORE IT totally and completely like she is not even in the room with you no eye contact no laugh matter of fact step right over her and go on with other business as though you can not see her...so if you are in the grocery store when it happens walk right past just a few steps and start comparing jello prices
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• may i make a suggestion...i have seen this done and I have done it myself...lay down with her and pitch a fit too...I mean scream and kick and yell and whatever...pretty soon the two of you should be laughing at how silly you both look...it worked for me and i didn't have any problems after it...see, my son saw another child pitch a fit so he copied the other child's behavior. WEll, I pitched a fit too..watch me...and he started laughing. Later and to this day, if he sees a kid acting up he will say, "mommie that kid is being bad."" good luck
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 10:27 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My daughter used to throw the WORST temper tantrums at 14 months old... I actually had to at some point (usually around the time she would bang her head on the floor or bite herself...) pick her up, hold her in my lap as tight as I could so she wasn't flailing around, and just count quietly in her ear to calm her down... Frustrating as all get out, but it worked wonders... Shortly after I started doing that, the temper tantrums got easier :)
    AnnaAndCalebsMa

Answer by AnnaAndCalebsMa at 10:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My girl has hurt herself when she chooses are hard ground to tantrum on. A little head bump is a natural consequence to that, and I don't stop her from getting that...but I'm there to hug her when she hurts.

I will pick her up and move her if she's somewhere dangerous like a parking lot (don't want her getting run over).

Other than that, I just stay calm and use my sweetest voice, and let the tantrum run it's course. When I stay calm, they're noticeably shorter.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• The only way to stop tantrums is to ignore them. I walk away from tantrums, and I have had 2 kids throw them like that. If I need to move the child for a safety reason then I lift move and set down gently. It didn't take my kids long to realize mommy doesn't play that.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My son tried that. He found out quickly that banging his head on the floor isn't much fun. I wasn't about to protect him from the natural consequences of his actions if it wasn't going to cause anything worse than momentary pain.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• MELRN has the right idea. The more attention you give to the tantrum-throwing tot, the longer the tantrum will go on. If you ignore it, and go about your business, the tot has no "audience". My 13 month old rides in the grocery cart when we go shopping, so when she has one of her hissy fits, I just ignore her...I just keep on shopping and acting like I don't hear her. She'll stop within a minute.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My Daughter is 3 and still does that. Just ignore her and she wont do it as much. I just walk away into another room till she is done.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 6:01 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My 15 month old does it too, not as often as she used to, maybe because I ignore her when she does it.
    babymama_27

Answer by babymama_27 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i agree that ignoring helps diminish tantrums, but it sounds like that may not be an option for you because your main concern is your child's safety during the tantrum. My son used to get hurt a lot during his fits. I ended up holding him (you might even call it restraining?) in my arms while I rocked him back and forth. It took a lot longer to get over the tantrum stage, but I never gave in to his demand and we kept his tantrum-induced injuries to a minimum.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Aug. 8, 2009