Why aren't my cans sealing?

I am trying to can some apple sauce using the water bath method. But the jars are not sealing. I believe I have plently of fruit in there, my pot is over half full of water, the water is right at a low boiling point, the sauce was bubbling when I spooned it in the jar, the jars and lids and rings where waiting in low boiling water. So why aren't they sealing???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Make sure your water is at least 212 degrees F.

When you put the filled jars into the canner, the water level should be at least 1-2 inches ABOVE the tops of the jars.

Make sure you are boiling the jars for the time specified in the recipe you are using.

Make sure you are not re-using lids! Even if they were new & didn't seal the first time, don't re-use the same lid to try to seal the jars again; use a brand new lid to try to re-seal your jars.

Make sure the fruit is hot, the jars are hot, the lids & rings are hot.

Make sure you have cleaned the rims of the jars before putting on the lid & ring.

If all that doesn't do it, then I don't know why your jars aren't sealing properly, sorry.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:40 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I keep my jars and rings hot in the oven (or in this case, in my roaster oven since my big oven is broken). I wash them in hot water, rinse them good, and screw the ring back on, then set them upside-down in the roaster set at 300. They don't become so hot you can't handle them, and the batches of pickles and jelly I've made this week would seal BEFORE I even got them into the canner.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2009