how many people out there are seriously struggling with the basics?

Do you have any plans on how you are going to get out of this "rut"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well...my bank account is overdrawn $800 and I guess I'll just have to let things get behind everyother month until I don't have a car payment and student loans anymore..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• omg! anon us too! and the worst part? we live my MIL so we don't even pay rent or utilities. But we're hoping to get caught back up and out of the red asap. it was an honest mistake on my DHs part, but one I hope he doesn't make when we get a house of our own....gulp
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 10:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I hate seeing my son thin and not having enough money for food. I'm glad he is over 18 so no one can take him away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Anon :53 there should be food banks that you can get help from, I am so sorry that your son is having to deal with this.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:06 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yep, we are. If it weren't for my Dad giving us a break on the rent by allowing us to fix up this place as we can afford to do so (as long as we meet our yearly rent total in repair expenses - for ex., last year we paid the rent by gutting & redoing a full bathroom). We've cut back on everything, including the "extras" like internet (downsized to $14/month plan), phone (downsized to $13/month plan) and cable (got rid of it). We never eat out anymore, nor do we go anywhere (no movies, no shopping, no nothing!). Books & videos come from the library & we have seriously cut back on utility bills (timed showers, no a/c, etc.). I've also trimmed our food bill about as close as I can get it w/o having to resort to eating pb&j everyday.

To try to fix this mess, I've been looking for full-time work, but with such a glutted employment market, nobody wants to hire a 40-something mom who hasn't worked a full-time job in 10 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yeap. If it wasn't for the foodstamps I am getting, my son and I would be eating Ramen noodles everyday. I am grateful that my mom is paying my rent and heat bill. I make enough at my parttime job to pay the phone, internet and car insurance so I can get to school, get my degree and hope that I can get a decent job with benefits when I am done with school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I can appreciate you all. Gas/groceries have increased, but paychecks have not. The first thing you need to do is STOP THINKING ABOUT DEBT. When my daughter got sick, and I had to give up my job, all I thought about we we didn't have enough. I visited the church pantry several times. It was a self fulfilling prophecy. Now I think we have plently. I concentrate on getting checks in the mail, getting cash in the mail. Whenever I start to panic about a bill, I change my thought, and say why am I worried, I HAVE MORE THEN ENOUGH. Believe it or not, this works. I tell myself daily that money come frequently & easily. You have to feel happy when you say this. It has really worked. And now, I have enough every month, even when extras come due. I have been spending lots on gas and lunches out, because my daughter has so many medical appts out of town. Yet the Lord has provided each month.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 12:19 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'm making less than $400 a month. After $100+ for car insurance, usually around $120 for utilities, gas (usually around $60-70 a month), food, and trying to pay off old medical bills and the like, we're totally broke. Thankfully I don't have a credit card. We had free internet for 6 months when my mom made us get a land line phone while I was pregnant last year. Now we owe her for a couple of months of internet, too, but I can't afford to pay her right now. Hubby keeps looking for a job, but hasn't had any luck. I haven't had luck with finding something better, either.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2009