How do I get the smell out?

I recently bought a shirt made in Korea with synthetic material. After I got it home I realized, it stinks!!! It smells like someone lit it on fire or something. I didn't realize it until I had it hanging in my closet for a while. Returning it is not an option - I bought it final sale. I've tried to air it out by hanging it outdoors, but nothing seems to help. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 10:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You could try soaking it in a pail of water with a cup of baking soda dissolved in the water. Soak it for at least an hour, then wash it with a half cup of white vinegar and see if that eliminates the odor. Neither the baking soda nor the white vinegar should hurt the material, but since it is a synthetic, you might want to first test a tiny bit of the material in an inconspicuous place prior to doing the whole garment.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I was going to suggest baking soda, and saw the above answer did. So I agree w/her.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 12:00 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'd toss it in the laundry first, and if it still smelled then the vinegar route especially.

Answer by Bmat at 10:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2009