How is a 13 year old boy suppose to act?

Is it unreasonable to expect a 13 year old to sit down in a restaurant and behave himself? Or do they really do things like lick the plastic straw wrapper, shove huge pieces of french toast into a cup of syrup and then into their mouth, stick little pieces of tooth pick in their mouth, stab the place mat with crayons, talk

izaiahsmoma

Asked by izaiahsmoma at 10:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The question is about my 13 year old nephew, NOT my child.  My 3 year old doesn't behave this way!  He lives with his grandparents and while at a family dinner this is how he was behaving.  His mom and step-dad (and my DH) were trying to correct him and his grandpa was accusing everybody of "picking on him" causing the bad behaviors to continue.

izaiahsmoma

Answer by izaiahsmoma at 10:23 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• That sounds about normal. Not that it is acceptable by any means. By that age they should be able to act respectfully while in public.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• not my 13 year old!
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I teach 13-14 year olds... we see things like that every morning at breakfast. Makes for a messy cafeteria...
    tchrwifemom

Answer by tchrwifemom at 10:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I can't say that I would allow my son to act like this. Thankfully, he has never behaved like the behaviors you have mentioned.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:01 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Well, a 13 year old boy might try to act like this, he might think it was cute...but that doesn't make it right or ok.

Now is the time to teach him what is and is not appropriate, I am a pretty harsh mother, I expect a lot outta my kids behavior....so no, this would not be allowed to continue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• wow this is what i have to look forward to... lol
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:08 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Yes that is perfectly normal. Boys from the age of 10-13 are dorks, goofballs and generally hard to be around without smacking them for backtalk or other behaviors. I have to say since my son turned 14 though the "embarassment" switch goes on. Then they understand how different behaviors can be horrible to be around. Bear with it. It gets easier.
    You have to master the "look of death". You will be able to say a name, give a look and stop a behavior before it starts. :) We also have a code word to say, "Ya do that ONE MORE TIME and I DON'T CARE HOW OLD YOU ARE YOU WILL GET A SPANKING." Ours is Fork. (As in stick a fork in yourself YOU'RE DONE.)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I agree boys don't seem to care about table manners as much as girls. We practice our manners at home. No one eats until dinner is served, and grace is said. Grace is said after we pass the food. No one eats until their napkin is in their lap.

When they were younger, I played the nickel game. Each person got 5 nickels at the beginning of dinner. If you "caught" someone else not using their manners, you could take one of their nickels. example, talking w/food in your mouth, interrupting someone while they were talking, chewing w/your mouth open, talking w/food in your mouth, etc. After each dinner, I listed how many nickels each kid had on a 3x5 card. The next night, they would start w/5 nickels again. At the end of the week, the most nickels, got something special. The kids had fun trying to steal nickels, and trying to use their best manners so no one stole their nickels.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 11:39 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• We are lucky, my teen is great company and has good table manners. I know we are lucky because I see others who would rather be anywhere than out with adults and they act accordingly. So, the behavior you mention is common, but probably not acceptable!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2009