• In the Spotlight:

My dd is 4 months old and we've started cereal. Everytime we do it now she cries at every spoonful. Has this happened to anyone? Any ideas why? No allergic reaction.....

clransom

Asked by clransom at 11:07 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a totally new experience to them, their senses are being overloaded. It's a new smell, a new taste and a new texture. It took my son a month to get used to it. They recommend mixing only a tablespoon of cereal and not to force them to eat it. Cereal at that age isn't necessary in nutrition, it's just to give them practice. If she cries and doesn't want it, let it be done. Meal time shouldn't be stressful for either of you. She may only be able to handle a spoonful per feeding for about a week. The more you try to get her to eat the cereal when she doesn't want to, the more she is going to fight it. Take it slow, she'll take to it in her own time. No rush :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:56 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Maybe she's not ready. Maybe if you give her a week or so off and try again. I dunno.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Maybe her digestive system isn't ready for solids.You may want to wait for another month or two.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Mine's 6 months old and we're still struggling with it. I find that we have the toughest time with it when she's tired. That's the only time she really just flat out cries about it, but she really wants absolutely nothing to do with the rice cereal. She seems to have taken better to the oatmeal, so maybe a change in flavor might make her happy? I mean, I tried the rice cereal, and I don't blame my daughter one bit for being stubborn about it. The oatmeal tastes MUCH better. :-)
    tchrwifemom

Answer by tchrwifemom at 11:12 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• It could be because they are wanting it faster then you can shovel it in. :) I would try oatmeal also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Was it too hot once and scared her? Or maybe she hates the taste. Try it with a little watery apple juice or something else. And yeah she might not be ready yet. She might feel like its choking her or making it hard for her to breathe even if its not really and that could be scaring her.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• dry cereal? if so, are you getting it moist enough? baby jar cereal? are you warming it up? Is is too hot? are you using a spoon? is it hot? I don't know if they still have them but they used to have a feeder where you put jar food in but it feeds them like a bottle........ my dd just told me they have them at Walgreens and Walmart

Answer by admckenzie at 11:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• umm cause she is 4 months and shouldnt have solids till 6 months gee perhaps..
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I held off on solids as long as possible. I think the soonest you should start cereal is 6 months. then their digestive system is ready. My Ped also said don't introduce solids until the child shows you he is ready. My son reached for a chicken finger, and then I started him on solids around 9 months. He grabbed it right off my plate. I said I guess he is ready. I bet she will love the cereal then. I also started only w/vegetables. All my kids loved sweet potatoes. A sweet vegetable. I did not give them fruit, until I had introduced all the vegetables. This way they started on a healthy diet.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 11:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Sounds like she's just not ready. My dr recommends at about 4.5 to 5 months old to start offering rice cereal once daily until they take to it. If she cries and pushes it a way, then you're done offering it for that day. She'll take it when she's ready.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009