i have a 1 month old son and he eats 8 oz at each feeding every 4 hrs and is still hungry is it too soon to add cearal to his bottle yet he'll be 2 months on the 26th???

jennifer200926

Asked by jennifer200926 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is 2 months and ive given her cereal already and she dont have any problems with it..i put it in her bottle, but i dont put alot, only about a tablespoon in 6-7 ounces..the milk is still pretty thin..she never choked on it...textbooks say 4 months..but if it wasnt safe then some ped. wouldnt reccomend it to those babies who have trouble keeping the milk down..8 ounces at every feeding can get very expensive..mine was up to 7 ounces, but for some reason dropped down to 4 all the sudden..so i know how you feel. if you do put it in the bottle just feed him propd up instead of laying down, that way theres less of a chance of choking, thats what i do.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 1:37 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I thought that the earliest cereal should start is 4 months, but I could be wrong. Cant you just increase the amount of formula you give your baby?
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• You shouldn't start cereal before 4 months unless he has severe reflux and the dr recommended it. Many babies need to eat every 2 hours. Sometimes 4 hours is just too long of a stretch.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:21 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• 2 months is way too young for cereal. Try feeding him every three hours instead.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I started all my kids on cereal BEFORE 4 months and trust me they are all very healthy and never had trouble with it.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I need to add something to my answer. Do not put cereal in your babys bottle. If you plan to give him some give him a few spoons. Putting it in the bottle can hurt his digestive track a lot. Perhaps that is why my kids never had problems. My SIL gave her kids cereal from bottles and to this day they still have stomach problems. If you still decide to use bottle for it and not a spoon then you should not be able to tell any is in there.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My daughter is about the exact same age (she'll be 2 months on the 23rd) and my ped told me if she's eating more than 32oz in 24 hours to start spoon feeding her cereal. I personally don't agree because I was always told not to give them cereal until 4 months. And I'm getting mixed opinions from people. My boyfriend wants to try it because his mom said to and I have to respect his feelings as well. I honestly wish there was a straight YES or NO on this one!! Good luck!!!!
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 12:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• you NEVER need to add cereal to a baby bottle...especially at that age it poses a big choking risk and their digestive systems are so immature that they can't digest it easily this young.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't start the cereal, but I would try making the feedings closer together.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:13 AM on Aug. 9, 2009