Mommy battles

I have a best friend that no matter what i say about my son, she always has to compete.. its the craziest thing.. i'm not trying to brag about my son, i'm just trying to make conversation and everyone loves to tell somebody when their child does something new and cute.. her child is a year older than mine and if i say to her "hey guess what my son did today, it was the cutest thing" she would say " well guess what mine did" and she has to top it by 20x or something.. i really don't get it, i just want to talk.. what do i do.. and its like she dont believe me when i say oh he learned this or he learned that.. she actually said to me one day " are you sure your not exaggerating" OMG come on.. i know that all children learn on different levels and some learn things fast and some slow.. is it because my 2 year old knows and does the same things as her 3 year old and she feels threateaned, like im saying shes doing it wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe she doesn't realize she's doing it. She may just think you're talking about your kids. Is it possible that she doesn't realize that her comments are coming across this way? I have a friend who has a baby that is the same age as mine and when she says "My son knows what a doggy says" I want to reply "Oh yeah, so does mine!" but I stop myself because I'm afraid it will come out like "Mine does that, mine does that, mine does that" which is TOTALLY not what I was going for. Do you think maybe she doesn't know she's being annoying?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• just dont talk to her about your son any more. when she brags about hers just be like "good for you" LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2009