Do you have a picky eater due to texture issues?

My oldest is autistic and has texture issues, which limit the foods he will eat. He is now tired of the foods has eaten for the past 3 years, yet refuses to try anything else. Anyone's input would be appreciated. Thanks

jbongers

Asked by jbongers at 11:29 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes. We have this issue also. Start making smoothies. :) Also, keep within the textures he likes, then add different flavors. If you know he likes spaghetti, use spaghetti noodles with alfredo sauce and chicken.
    What textures does he like? Also, you may try the eat one bite per year of age philosophy. It worked for us, it may for you.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• My three year old is not a normal eater. He has some serious eating issues. I heard some great advice I will pass on. While you are working with professionals, don't sweat what your child eats. As long as they eat give them what he or she will eat. At first I was hung up on the balanced diet and the need to do as healthy as possible. We do a vitamin, pediasure, and I give him what he will eat and as much as he wants of it. In the mean time we are ruling out medical issues and then sending him on to specialists who can assist him with his eating sensitivities. The thing that I would love parents to know is to not make meals a battle or a stresser for you or the child.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I read this great book called No More Meltdowns by Jed Baker. I wrote a journal post about the helpful information that I found in the book.

I will tell you that this has been wonderful, Shawn is getting so much better at doing the 5 steps to trying a new food.

1. Look at it

2. Smell it

3. Lick it

4. Chew on it

5, Swallow it.

Here is my journal post I hope it helps, http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1496506/A_guide_for_problems_advoiding_new_food_without_a_meltdown

LadybugsMonkeys

Answer by LadybugsMonkeys at 3:46 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I am all about texture of food! I completely understand whenever my kids have said they don't like how it feels in their mouth. I can't identify what it is and I'm 41! I just know it when I feel it and it doesn't feel right :) You are also hitting the age when kids typically do change what they used to like and now they don't. It is another cycle of striving for independence. Have you tried keeping a notebook of what foods he doesn't like the texture of? It is smooth, cold, creamy, crunchy, salty, etc? With some investigative work you may be able to deduce what "types" of things he doesn't tolerate. I know when my 2nd DD kept telling us her clothes didn't feel right, we kind of thought she was being a pain in the neck, but then we realized it was an extension of the texture thing. She wasn't doing it to be annoying---it truly didn't feel right. Good luck and good hunting for the right foods!
    lisaeNH

Answer by lisaeNH at 8:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2009