Is there a birth control you can take while BF?

I am 34 weeks pregnant with my second child and am wondering if theres a birth control you can take while bf that doesnt affect your milk supply and is safe?

ALDmama

Asked by ALDmama at 11:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took the mini pill Errin after Silver was born and Nora-BE after Scarlet. (exact same drug) They are 28 consecutive active pills that do not contain estrogen. It is a little less effective than a combo pill (95% when taken correctly) But it worked for me. You take the same pill everyday until you stop BF, then you need to be switched to a combo or other form of Birth Control. I dont like IUD's because i'm not done having kids yet, so the pills worked for me.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 2:42 AM on Aug. 10, 2009

• the IUD is a good one i have it and breastfed also they have a pill that you can take while breastfeeding
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 11:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• Loestrin 24
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• yes there is a minipill
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 7, 2009

• The mini pill. I took it and never had a problem with my supply.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 1:50 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• there are but, any kinda birth control pill is bad for your body an ur baby id also getting it when u breastfeed.
    if u do take any well breastfeeding read all the risks first for u an your child
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 2:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• para guard....its non hormonal too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• All hormone based birth control methods have the ability to reduce your milk supply (it just depends on your body). However, Natural Family Planning (NFP)/ Fertility Awareness Method (FAM), are a great option. You chart you cervical fluid and waking temperature to find your fertile days (which can vary during nursing). You can learn more about this method by reading "Taking Charge of your Fertility" or going to www.fertilityfriend.com
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 9:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Either IUD is okay, even Mirena, which is the one with hormones. There is a progestin-only BC pill you can take, too. NFP is NOT a good option while you are BFing, because BFing interferes with ovulation, and most women are not regular while nursing. It's only a good option if you are VERY regular, and you totally abstain from sex during your fertile time.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:12 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• musicpisces, I used NFP while nursing. While my cycles weren't regular at first I still knew when I had the possibility of being fertile, if I was even ovulation and if my luteal phase was even long enough to sustain a pregancy. True NFP says you have to abstain during times of fertile quality cervical fluid (or use a condom, our choice) but it still can be used effectually while nursing!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2009