How do you keep a semi-potty trained toddler from "going" during her nap/sleep and long road trips (with reasonably timed breaks of course)?

My 2-1/2 year old wears underwear and goes to the potty at home and can hold it for short trips to the store. But when she sleeps in the car or at home, she "goes." (So we put diapers on her right before she goes to bed and when we know we will be on the road for longer than an hour.) Also, we are planning to go on a 10-12 hour road trip next month and we don't want her to wear diapers by then. Please help! Thanks!

AneesasMom

Asked by AneesasMom at 12:07 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What worked for my son was to TELL him, not ask him, to go potty, especially before naps - it became part of his routine. If he was asked, then he would say that he doesn't have to go, but if he was told to "go wake up his pee", then he wouldn't have an accident during his nap. Same goes for road trips...take regular breaks and take them to the potty and tell them to try to go. Asking is leaving yourself open for accidents because at this age, they generally don't recognize the signals yet, so they'll say no and then have to pee 10 minutes later.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• for the road trip take a potty w/you if she says she has to go and you aren't near a rest stop, you can pull over and let her get out of her seat and go (not fun but when they are that old they have to go when they say they have to go) as far as night time and naps, most kids up til the age of about 4 sometimes even 5 don't get the signal to wake up to pee at night so have to wear good nights or something along those lines. when she starts to get that little signal in her head at night she'll start to wake at night.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:09 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Constantly ask her if she needs to go potty.  I would take her at every single rest area you come to.  I would also bring something she really likes (M&M's maybe) and say "if you pee, I'll give you an M&M."  Some frown on the bribery part, but I use whatever works and it works for us.  We got THIS for DD and keep it in the back of my car for those moments when we can't get somewhere quick enough.  She absolutely loves it!!  We also will put a puppy training pad between her and the car seat on those long trips for just in case because we do not want to put her back in Pull-Ups when we leave the house.

Good luck!!

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:20 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Thanks for your question. I've just started potty training, and it's nice to know it's okay to use diapers or pull ups for long outings at this stage.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:30 AM on Aug. 8, 2009