My 10 month old is a eating machine...Help!!!!

I recently switched my daughter from baby food (wasn't filling her up enough, plus I think she would get tired of the same old stuff) to table food. She does some finger foods, but I puree normal food for her and she loves it. The problem is I give her enough, plenty, but she wants to keep eating, like all day! I still give her formula, we tried giving her regular milk, she don't like it. She eats like 3 large meals, and 2 small ones...SHe's worse than my husband, lol, I dont thi nk it's right to keep feeding her because she's crying and I know she's had enough. My Dh and I both have a weight problem and I dont want her to be like thAT. She's almost eating a fistsize of food at all large meals. What do I do?

mumma28

Asked by mumma28 at 12:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to your dr. if you are concerned, but you do need to feed her when she's hungry. You are giving her healthy nutritious foods, so I wouldn't worry about over-feeding her at this point. It's normal to want to watch her weight if you have issues with weight, but you really shouldn't put restrictions on how much she eats. Babies will usually eat until they are full. Also, she's probably more mobile now and burning more calories than when she was younger.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• have you tried talking to your pediatricion? both my kids eat ALOT and neither my husband or i are big. i think kids are just going through growth spurts and need the food. make sure you are feeding healthy foods and a mixture of all the food groups. its one thing if she wants to eat pureed oreos all day but if its carrots and rice or something thats good. if you are really worried though i would call your pediatricion.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 12:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• She obviously don't get oreos....I've even added a bit of rice cereal to her veggies to thickn them up. I fed her mac n cheese and peas today for lunch, and i ground up meatloaf and mashed potatoes, and she had 2 helpings of that, plus formula with each feeding, which she wont drink that much of anymore. I cut up and mashed half a banana for snack, and some graham crackers soaked in milk. I think she's teething which is why she screams at me, but I know she wants food constantly and we can't seem to shovel it in fast enough. I want her to swallow what she has in her mouth before I give her more.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would make sure to give her formula first before her meals that is the most important part of her diet... I would do at least 4-6 oz in her sippy or bottle pre meal... and then give her the table foods until she is full. I wouldn't worry too much about how much she is eating as long as all the foods are healthy. My guess is she isn't drinking her formula well because she is already full and that if she was full with her milk first she might not pack away as much food.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:19 AM on Aug. 8, 2009