A persistant little man

My two year old is VERY persistent.. i mean it is aweful.. if he wants something he will yell and yell and yell about it and i cannot take his mind off it at all.. My problem is.. i am a very nervous person and sometimes i can be calm with him when he gets like this and sometimes if im having a bad day i end up being very loud and short with him and it's killing me cause i dont want to be mean to him and i know its just making his persistance worse along with the yelling, but how can i learn to control myself better.. i use to smoke and that was my release, i would go outside and smoke on my bad days when he would get like this.. but now thats gone.. any suggestions.. i have tried getting down and making eye contact and explaing why he cannot have it, but he will not look at me, even if i hold his face, he moves his eyes.. and keeps yelling for whatever it is that he wants..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him have his out, we all need to vent frustration and right now this is his why. However, when he is calmed down, then you can talk about the why and even different ways of expressing his frustration.

I recommend "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" By I cannot remember at the moment =-)
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 8:54 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Just ignore him! if he keeps on yelling and you feel yourself about to snap, let him know that obviously he is sleepy since he's fussing and if he doesn't quit, he's going to go to bed. maybe try and redirect his wants somewhere else. My 2 year old is this way and she's started laying in the floor and crying. If it's something out of the fridge she can't have, i try to offer something else. I normally can't walk away in this situation or she will just get it herself. I move her to another room and let her have her fit. my patience are pretty strong though and I can sit through a lot more then most. More often then not, she gets over it first.
    mistyDaze76

Answer by mistyDaze76 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I ignore my daughter. It works till the learn to climb on things to get what they want.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 6:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Ignore him. Put him in a room by himself, and talk to him after he's done. Yelling is not acceptable behavior when he wants something. DON"T give into him - that just teaches him that he gets what he wants when he yells.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:48 AM on Aug. 8, 2009