Sleep Routeen

My 4 1/2 month old daughter's bedtime routeen is: massage, reading, bath, nurse to sleep. We're having a problem that once we take her out of the bath, she starts screaming. She screams the entire time we're getting her dressed and then by the time I'm ready to nurse, she's so upset that I have to rock her to get her to calm down. I would like for her to not scream every night. Has any one else been in this situation?

We've thought about moving her bath out of the routeen all together. I figure that I prefer showering in the morning, so maybe she might prefer bathing in the morning?

Also, maybe I should do the routeen in a different order? I've figured out that reading can not go after bath, so I'm afraid to try doing massage after the bath. Might be worth a try though.

HALP!!!

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 12:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep the feeding where it is but move bath time to the morning, for some of us (like me) it just worked with our bodies better. You can always play with routines, but keeping the nursing just before bed will give you a longer sleep stretch before the first night feeding.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 9:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I would encourage you to feed her first, then a warm bath with a nice calm massage. I found that if you feed first the baby will have time to digest and less colic .... the warm bath should be very slow and soft, gently hold her head in your hand, face to face with a soft voice talk to her... slowly ease the water over the back of her head, after her bath... keep her wrapped tight for about 5-10 min, snuggling with her, then move to the massage, keep her body covered as you start with her legs and arms, then chest... good face to face talk... gently dress her and rock again, she should not need to eat to go to sleep... if you can get her schedule to not include eating to sleep she will learn to drift off without always eating and you should see less colic too....This has always worked for me..... good luck....
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 12:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Have you tried a nice warm towel when she gets out? Maybe she is mad because she is cold. Or maybe she is overtired at that point... maybe move her bathtime 30 mins earlier at night. If that doesn't work I would skip a night time bath and do it in the morning.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:12 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i do feeding, nice long warm bath, then massage, then sleep..the bath and massage calms and relaxes her and she usually goes right to sleep. mine also screams when she gets out the bath but after shes dressed shes fine.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 8, 2009