Ureteric Stent

I belong to another website for mommies, but no one knows anything about this topic, and my doc is being a total jerk and never listens to my complaints. I was admitted in the hospital at 26 weeks for a kidney stone that wouldn't pass (we think)I couldn't get xrays done, so it was an educated guess. The urologist told me that all he could do was put a stent in the ureter until after birth, then perform a lithotripsy. Sounds fine, but I have been in EXCRUCIATING pain for the last couple of weeks and RED blood in my urine. My ob/gyn keeps saying its normal to have some blood and pain, but he won't ever tell me how much I should expect. I took Vicotin for a couple of weeks, but now the doc says its too risky not to be able to tell when I go into labor, so he won't refill my scrips. I have been taking Tylenol, to try and lessen the pain. but it is NOT working! I am going crazy! Pain 24-7, can't sleep, and I just cry and cry.

Craziirabbit

Asked by Craziirabbit at 12:24 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Go to the ER. You could develop a kidney infection or a blocked ureter or urethra. Your OB is a jerk. Demand a specialist. Urologist?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I have been to the hospital a couple of times and they just give me pain meds, and call my doc, and he tells them to send me home...ya'll think its too late to change?
    Craziirabbit

Answer by Craziirabbit at 12:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If you can find one that will take you, I would try to change. Good Luck with it all and I hope you find some comfort soon. It sounds really painful!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Have they done an ultrasound? I would be at the ER until something was done. You cannot go through that much pain for so long without it causing serious issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• they have done an ultrasound, but there was too much swelling to see anything
    Craziirabbit

Answer by Craziirabbit at 12:45 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I was in the same place with my first pregnancy..... I know exactly how you feel.... I kept my stent in for 2 weeks and i stayed in so much pain I had it removed, the pain from the stent was worse than the actual kidney stones. I was able to move much better after it was removed.... I will warn you after I had mine removed, which they done right there in the office, after the numbness wears off you may be in some pain, I was! I then went back to the ER they gave me a dose of pain meds I went home and went to bed and I was okay after I woke up. I was sore on my left side until after delivery , if you have any questions ... feel free to ask me... I know its a pain!
    momma2hunter

Answer by momma2hunter at 1:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• do you have a stent in now?
    i had to go through this about 5 years ago, i wasn't pregnant at the time tho.
    but i had to have stents in to widen the funnel at the top of the ureter then surgery to get part of it cut away and stents and stuff in there longer for the tissue to grow back together. i was peeing blood, bad kidney pain, and they thought i also had some kidney stones. those 'disappeared' and the doc said the blockage must have been congenital. so my kidney had grown twice its size over 22 years. i never could take any pain meds because i am SUPER sensitive to them, esp vicodin.
    if you have stents in you have to drink a lot of water, keep hydrated, if not enough fluid its more painful and more friction where the stent is placed. also you shouldn't bend at the hips/waist. it can cause rubbing and pain.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 2:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• oh i had the stent in place from kidney to bladder for about 6 months. not just one, they would have to put a new one in, every time i was under. until the last time they took it out finally for good! it was in the office, and that was painful (not too bad tho, more pinching pressure) but it came out with some tissue attached to it ! and its kinda big coming out of your urethra ya know!
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 2:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Can you go to a different doctor and get another opinion? This one doesn't sound very attentive to your needs.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:39 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Poor you! I had kidney stones as well during my pregnancy, and actually decided to get a stent put in my left side as I thought it might help. My doctor told me it was not a cure all, but I was desperate to try anything. Holy crap ... it was hell. I had it in for 2 months and I was basically an invalid. I also had blood in my urine the whole time. I then got stones in my right kidney and I just freaked out. I was in the hospital for a few days and when I got out I DEMANDED that my doctor take the stent out. He was a little hesitant at first and the receptionist said he was going on vacation and we would have to schedule it after and I told them they HAD to find a way to get me in. They did, and my dr. told me I was right in getting it out, as it was all calcified with build up. Please PM me if you want, I know exactly how you feel. I got it out at 8 months & I was allowed percocet for the pain up to that point.
    happymama2D

Answer by happymama2D at 8:33 PM on Aug. 8, 2009