Angels: What are they and what can they do?

I know some people believe that they do nothing but praise God in heaven. Others (like me) believe that they protect and can intercede in our lives. So, what do you believe?
-Ashley
Of course, if you don't believe in them at all, feel free to share, but be nice about it, please.

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They Serve
    Hebrews 1:13-14 "But to what angel has He ever said, 'Sit at my right hand, till I make they enemies a stool for they feet'? Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to serve, for the sake of those who are to obtain salvation?"

1st Kings 19:5 And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat.

They Deliver and Instruct God's Commands

Acts 5:17-21 "But the high priest rose up and all who were with him, that is, the party of the Sadducees, and filled with jealousy they arrested the apostles and put them in the common prison. But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out and said, 'Go and stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this Life.' And when they heard this, they entered the temple at daybreak and taught."

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I believe they watch over me and protect me. I believe the family members who are now Angels are watching over me and my daughter. She laughs in her sleep and I think she's "talking" and laughing with the angels. When I want her to go to stop fighting sleep and go to bed I tell her it's time to go play with the angels. It's a nice thought.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• They Bring Messages of Impending Disaster

Genesis 19:15 "When morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, "Arise, take your wife and your two daughters who are here, lest you be consumed in the punishment of the city."

They Guard and Protect

Psalm 91:11-12 "For He will give His angels charge of you, to guard you in all your ways. On their hands they will bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone."

They Fight for Us

Exodus 33:2 "And I will send an angel before you, and I will drive out the Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites."

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• They Deliver Messages From God

Luke 1:11 "And the angel answered him, 'I am Gabriel, who stand in the presence of God; and I was sent to speak to you , and to bring you this good news."

Acts 8:26-29 "But an angel of the Lord said to Philip, 'Rise and go toward the south to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.' This is a desert road. And he rose and went. And behold, an Ethiopian, a eunuch, a minister of the Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, in charge of all her treasure, had come to Jerusalem to worship and was returning; seated in his chariot, he was reading the prophet Isaiah. And the Spirit said to Philip, 'Go up and join this chariot.'"

They Execute Judgment

Matthew 13:41-42 "The Son of man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, and throw them into the furnace of fire; there men will weep and gnash their teeth."

hinson7169

• Angel means messenger. They are messengers that come to help those on the earth. Some are Warrior Angels and do nothing but battle the prince of the air but others protect us or at times give messages from the Throne Room of Heaven. Each Angel has a job to do and we humans will judge them on judgment day as to whether or not they did their job.
    1 Corinthians 6:3 (New American Standard Bible)
    3Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• In the Bible, angels are messengers of God's power; they exist to execute God's will. Angels reveal themselves to individuals as well as to the whole nation, to announce events, either good or bad, affecting humans. Angels foretold to Abraham the birth of Isaac, to Manoah the birth of Samson, and to Abraham the destruction of Sodom.

Guardian angels were mentioned, but not, as was later the case, as guardian spirits of individuals and nations. God sent an angel to protect the Hebrew people after their exodus from Egypt, to lead them to the Promised Land, and to destroy the hostile tribes in their way (Ex. 23.20, Num. 20.16).
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 3:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The angel came to Mary to tell her that she would be with the child...Jesus.
    Angels ministered to Jesus after Satan tempted Him in the desert.
    In the spiritual realm there are good and evil angels; though we can not see them they are there.
    We as Believers can ask for God to send us angels to watch over us and our loved ones.
    They do the will of the Father...God...Jesus.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 3:54 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I believe they have nothing to do with God. They are simply pure spirit beings from another dimention. Nothing more... They can involve themselves in the lives of people but don't have to, just like all beings from other dimentions... If they cross in to our reality, they can become intertwined in to mortal affairs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:40 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• They help when needed. With whatever is needed. They bring peace and tranquility, give us a sense of strength and perseverance, comfort us and protect us. I sort of agree with Sabrina to a point. They have a wonderful sense of humor too.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:38 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I believe there are classes of angels, messangers such as Gabriel, warrior angles, worshiping angels, etc. I don't think we know all that they do since they are spirit and we are not.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:57 PM on Aug. 8, 2009