Cherry Eye

So we took our dog (3month bullmastiff) to the vet for shots and this bump that just popped up over night in his eye? The vet said its known as cherry eye and will need surgery to remove it. I was wondering if any of you have been thru this or if you have any advise?

mum1

Asked by mum1 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Yes my dog had one and they removed it. It was a simple surgery. He stayed the night at the vets and we picked him up that morning. He was just fine! No pain and he was running around in no time! They give you drops to put in his eye if he has complications otherwise he will be ok! They give you a cone to go over his head as well just so he doesn't irritate it and scratch at it. Best part is is that there are no stitches they just cut it out and its done! simple surgery done in like 30 min!  It only cost us $100! not bad. GL! He will be just fine I promise!

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I haven't been throug it with any of my dogs, but I hear it's just a simple surgery and nothing to really worry about. If you don't get it removed, it can cause problems. Your puppy should be fine. Good Luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:38 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Hi - Sorry about this - see below - ask your vet about the 2 week trial of solutions and eye massage....

cherry eye  ---- Surgery Alternatives

Some people believe that massage can counteract the effect of cherry eye. Though not as effective as surgery, using a combination of prescription antibiotic and steroid eye drops from your vet (with external massage of the closed eyelid), you may see results.

Gently close the eyelid on the affected eye, and slide your fingers softly over the eyelid towards the nose. Continue thick application of the eye drops while giving massage treatment. However, if massage doesn't fix the problem within two weeks, look into surgical options.

If I can be of more help ; see my bullie page here :

http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 7:47 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• The DOG will be fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Aug. 9, 2009