A question for moms who ERF their toddlers

So, if you ERF your toddlers until whatever the booster age law is in your state do you keep the in a car seat instead of a booster? or do you just do a straight transfer from ERF to booster?
Just curious. I do not ERF not because i'm against it. I just have never done any research on it. I have two boys 4yrs 8mts and 3yrs 7mts. I did not give birth to either of these children so i was not able to do all the research on everything that i would like.
anyways, what do you do? how do you transition your kids from ERF to forward facing/booster or even no safety seat (when the law allows) at all?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 12:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Anon 4:04, I'd like to reach through the screen and slap you for your stupidity. It is not overprotective to do something that can save your child's life. They make forward facing car seats because after 35 pounds, kids need to forward face. Why do you keep your kid in a car seat? After all, that's overprotective, people used to drive around with kids on their lap. Oh, it's not safe? Get a brain. He' doing great with it because you haven't been in an accident. He'd be "okay" if you tied him to the seat with some rope, but that doesn't make it safe.

OP - when they reach the limit and need to be turned forward facing, the car seat probably can just be turned around. Your children may be too big to rear face (35 pounds). Most people leave them in a car seat with a harness.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:17 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Ummm seriously? Do the research. The "i didn't give birth to them" is not a proper reason to be uninformed.
    I use a RF carseat. They make special ones for larger kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• so you think you know more than the studies that show not putting the child in the correct positions and carseats could lead to the child being killed in an accident? wow how motherly of you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I didn't give birth to my daughter, but still did the proper research. That's a sorry excuse if you ask me. We kept DD rear facing until just after she turned 2-1/2. She was getting within a couple pounds of the 30 pound weight limit for rear facing (in that carseat), so we switched her convertible carseat forward facing. We did not have any problem whatsoever. She is currently in a carseat the that harnesses up to 65 pounds...and we fully intend to use the harness feature as long as possible!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:11 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• She was probably not able to do all the research because she just got the kids. You guys didn't even ask the question, except for allaboutkeely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I have a convertible car seat with a four-point harness that goes up to 90 lbs.(my son is 6) I bought a highback booster for my parents to use in their car. I don't feel the backless boosters are safe enough and you can get a good highback booster starting at just around $35. You basically go by weight AND age (not just one but BOTH). They all have the guidelines printed on the box/label in the store. You can also look at sites like babies-r-us for details. Take the time to know you are getting the proper seats for your kids...if you are unsure, most fire stations will do a free safety check. You can also check with your local children's hospital for advice.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• We will keep our twins rear facing until they reach the limits of their seats. They are nearly 4 now and are so petite only 33lbs each. They eat like pigs just never gain. When they are forward facing I will keep them in a 5 point harness until they outgrow them. If they are over the age that is required to be in a booster they may still sit in a booster if the seatbelt does not fit them right. My kids probably will be called names like my sisters kids because we do care about their safety in the car. I hope my kids are like my sisters and inform those that poke fun on how much safer they are than them and they would rather be teased than hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Jeez.
    This is sad. My husband's aunt has her 8 year old still in a booster. This "car safety" crap is out of hand. listen, they make car seats that face forward for a reason. My son is 2 years old and he's in a front facing, and he does great with it.
    Get over being so over protective, it wasn't that long ago that people didn't even use car seats and they were driving vehicles with no seat belts and those people ARE STILL ALIVE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• What's ERF?
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:35 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Well, to those moms who accused me of having a poor excuse. ...i did not just get my kids. i've had the younger one for almost 3 years now. But i only just heard about ERFing (which for the last mom, means Extended rear facing) a few months ago. and yea. my mom died which is how i ended up with my older child (my little brother) and excuse me for not having gotten around to see if i can ERF right away. it's not like i was morning the loss of my dead mother or anything. My DH is in Iraq so i do everything by myself.

Now, thank you to the moms who answered my questions without assumptions and judgement. I realize now that both of my boys are over the weight limit to RF. But i will be checking the weight limit on my younger sons carseat soon to see if i should buy him a booster or not for his 4th birthday.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:40 PM on Aug. 8, 2009