A Question About Religous Ideas and Beliefs

Why is it that all the main religous books talk about the same god, but yet people from different religions can't seem to get along. For example my son (who is 9 and in the 4th grade) has a friend who is Jehovah Witness and another friend who is Muslim. The JW kid and the Muslim kid know each other but are not allowed to play with each other outside of school. My son loves both of these friends and just can not understand why he can't have them both over to play at the same time. He respects their parents decisions, just doesn't understand them. Can anyone explain this?

Please don't make this into major drama. And if you are one of the families who won't let your kids play with kids from different religions please tell me why. I am not judging, just trying to get it all figured out.

bordprson

Asked by bordprson at 12:48 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I feel sad that his friends can not play together outside of school.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:52 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• It's the fact that the different names and wordings in the books make it sound like different gods and beliefs. In fact I believe they are for the most part all the same just word under different contents. I also believe if more people would realize this there would be more peace and less bloodshed in the name of one mans god. I would can't began to comprehend why people let religion and belief get in the way of friendship and getting to know a person. If you are kind I will be any ones friend as long as they aren't an ax murderer of a rapist or something like that. There are to many religious wars and your god is false in this world. We all more or less have the same belief system, moral values, and sensability with the exeption of a few. It is time to put aside petty quarrels and acknowledge the common grounds!!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:10 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I had friends who were JW when I was in school. One of the biggest differences is that they don't believe Jesus was the Son of God.
    NannyTracy

Answer by NannyTracy at 1:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• JW is jehovah witness not jewish.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:37 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I wish I could help you out, but my kids have friends from a variety of different ethnic and religious backgrounds.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:06 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• i think the cause might be to protect the children from influences of others.

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:57 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If the cause is to insulate their kids, they're really not doing them any favors. The world is full of different paths and they will encounter them throughout their lives. Better to learn to be tolerant of other paths than to alienate them.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:31 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Jws are not supposed to make friends outside the faith because these "worldly" influences could weaken their comitment to Jehovah. I dion't know enough about Muslims to know their reasons but I would assume it's similar. Both are very strict religions and in order to keep with those strict beliefs they do have to remove themselves from "the world." It's the "Bad association breeds bad habits" attitude... And when you believe that everyone outside the church is a "bad assn" it's hard to allow anyone in to your life...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:32 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• We are Jewish, and my daughter's locker partner is Palestinian. They get along very well, and even socialize out side of school.

It is such a wonderful feeling to see my daughter with her hijab wearing friend.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:01 PM on Aug. 8, 2009

• First of all- not all religions talk about the same god. There are many on here that worship more than one god. Those that are monothesitic, such as the Muslems, Jews, and christian differ very greatly in their interpretation of who God is and what role He takes in human affairs, how we approach Him, how one pleases God, who Jesus is, who is the messiah and an abundance of core issues.

Second, it's not right but some parents feel that their children will be influenced by the child of a different faith. They are fearful that the other child will lead their's away from the parents faith. As a born again parent I believe it is my job to teach my child what we believe so that they can influence their friends by their charactor and conduct toward faith in Christ. But if they never comes to that point that's fine too.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:56 PM on Aug. 8, 2009