When can I expect to feel like PPD is going away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should talk to your doc about it...I was on Zoloft only for a couple months to get me over the worst of it and after six months it should go away. If not, then they usually have other suggestions....what helped me was getting out of the house, going for a walk, going to a friends house/moms house to "take a break" while they played with baby....it will go away, but if you feel like its not getting better you should see your doc. good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:09 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I'm guessing your going through PPD right now and you want to know what being a mommy feels like without the PPD? I never had PPD but I do have major clinical depression. When the depression starts going away, I notice that I don't get stressed out as easily. I'm not quite as tired. Overall I get back to my normal happy self. I'm not 100% sure what exactly you're asking but I'm trying to answer what I think you are asking lol. If you want to talk more feel free to PM me
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:51 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• If you meant the baby blues, mine has lasted 4 weeks so far but it's more tolerable now then when I first came home. I'm hoping by the time I got back to work (8 weeks) that it will be completely gone.

If you meant post partum depression, then you need to talk to your doctor or seek out a support group. PPD is very serious and needs to be addressed by a professional for your sake, and the sake of your child and family.
    rpggurleli

Answer by rpggurleli at 5:37 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• That is different for everyone, my PPD kicked in when DD was a couple months old. I didn't realize what was going on until she was 8 months old (I was never "hormonal with her" but my poor DH took a lot during that time". Later (a long time after I started treatment, 3 capsules of fish oil 3 times a day. Worked miracles) I found out what was causing my PPD, I was gravely disappointed in my birth experience. I have already educated myself on how to change that for this baby. ((HUGS)) talk with someone and get guidance through this difficult time.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 9:02 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Talk to your dr. You may be able to take medication, if you're not breastfeeding, and that may help speed it up.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I had ppd so bad 3 months after my son, I ended up in the hospital for 4 days. I was trying all kinds of meds but cymbalta and trazadone were the two that really helped. I feel your pain, all you want to be is a happy loving mother and you end up crying and worrying all the time instead. Make sure to have your thyroid checked as pp thyroiditis is common and that can cause some symptoms. Talk to your doctor and tell her everything you are feeling so they can get you the correct treatment. I had hoped my would just go away by itself but about 4 months into no treatment I was ready to give up. I highly suggest treatment atleast for 6 months then try to wean off. Good luck also read Down Came The Rain by Brooke Sheilds.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 10:28 AM on Aug. 8, 2009