potty training...?

my dd is 14 months old,..advanced for her age..i just got her a potty chair of her own bc she was showing small signs of being ready,..now, whenever i can get her to follow me into the bathroom, i sit her on her potty until i'm through with my business in there...my question is where do i go from here??, how do i go about doing the next step? etc..

I'm sure it's unrealistic, but i would like to have her potty trained by the time she's 2..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Aug. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry you are being realistic my daughter was fully trained when she was 18 mo, you can start with pullups the ones that get cold when soiled/wet are great!!! something that helped me a lot was to buy her little underwear and let her wet herself... (though it is a lot of work and washing dirty clothes... lol) but that helped her understand the feeling and the consequences... usually poop is easier to control (thank GOD) it took about a week... ohhhh and talk a lot to her, you'll be amazed how much she understands. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Avy1930

Answer by Avy1930 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• I started my daughter like that when she was 15 months. She is now 3 and we are still trying to potty train. I did find rewards help. And the pull ups.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 5:58 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My suggestion would be to not have her sit as you sit but leave it there as an option. Potty training is not something you can make them do, the more they are in control of the situation the easier potty training is on both of you.

When she realizes she can makes the decision, she will ask to sit on the potty when you do. After that she will start letting you know when she needs to go and so on...

Your doing a great job!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 8:50 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• Just keep in mind that most kids bodies don't develop enough to actually "hold it" until their about 18 months.

So, for now, just play at going potty...and wait on the big girl undies for when she can hold it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:26 AM on Aug. 8, 2009

• My mom and me have a method for potty training in ONE day! You get a toddler potty and a pee baby doll. You turn off all your phones and any other destractions lockign yourself in the kitchen. Than the WHOLE day you feed them light snacks and juice. Take the baby doll and show them the baby doll is using the potty making it a game and than continually put them on the potty saying your turn to go potty. You do this back and forth all day ONLY talking about "potty". Eventually they will get it all completely down and u can stop. Soemtimes it takes a few hours sometimes it takes all day. Once you think they got it down they are not allowed another diaper again and if they make an accident we make them clean it up making them not wanting to EVER do that again. Im doing this with my 2yr old very soon :) WOOHOO for no more diapers!
    EliseMichelle

Answer by EliseMichelle at 3:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2009